Monthly Archives: October 2011
A recent trend in home kitchens has been the incorporation of commercial-grade equipment. From ovens to refrigerators to mixers, more and more people have been buying restaurant equipment for home use. The reasons for this are plain, as commercial kitchen equipment is extremely versatile and reliable compared to most residential appliances. Though commercial appliances certainly cost more than their residential counterparts, they can often save money in the long run as they're likely to last much longer. In addition, the minimalist steel look of these appliances is classic and never goes out of style. If you want to prepare food like a pro, or if you simply enjoy cooking and as a result spend a good deal of time in the kitchen, commercial restaurant supplies might be just the answer for you. One popular addition to many homes is a commercial refrigerator. Depending on the size and layout of your home, you may want to consider either a regular commercial refrigerator along with a commercial freezer separate, or a dual-temp unit that combines them like a normal residential model. The dual-temp units are large, many of them offering around 40-50 cubic feet. One of the best models on the market for home use is the True T-49DT. This is a dual-temperature refrigerator/freezer model, and offers a massive amount of storage space, 23 cubic feet on each side for a total of 46 cubic feet. It also features a diagnostic system with dial controls to ensure full and accurate controllability of internal temperatures. Beyond this, it's built like a tank with an attractive stainless steel exterior and vinyl-coated aluminum interior. True also guarantees the T-49DT's door hinges and torsion closure system for life. Other commercial restaurant supplies that have grown in popularity for home use are commercial-grade blenders. Vita-Mix blenders have set the standard in the restaurant industry thanks to their durability, performance and high-quality construction. They offer a complete line of blenders from lower-capacity models with a more limited range of speeds to the king of all commercial blenders, the Vitamix 1502 PBS. The 1502 PBS features an incredible 93 mixing speeds, precise ice portioning, the ability to mix up to four drinks at a single time and all with the simplicity of one button operation. While it may be overkill for some home users, it will certainly earn you bragging rights in the kitchen. Vita-mix is one of those brands though that is an industry standard, and has set the bar for quality in blenders for decades. Regardless of your needs and budget, they offer a machine that will suit you perfectly, and any one of their blenders is an excellent choice that will provide years of operation. In fact, it's not uncommon to see vintage Vita-mix blenders as old as the 1940s still selling for hundreds of dollars online as fully functional machines. The purchase of a Vita-mix is truly a great lifetime investment. Of course, one of the restaurant supplies you'll see in the home kitchen of any true foodie is a commercial range. For controllability, style and reliability you simply can't beat a quality commercial range. There is an astounding selection on the market, offering nearly every unit size and burner configuration you can imagine. Another option that is popular is an integrated oven, which isn't hard to find. Many home users though, prefer to buy just the range so it can be incorporated into a custom countertop or kitchen island, and buy an oven separately. One thing that all of these units have in common is heavy-duty stainless steel construction and gas burners that offer great control. If you do decide to buy a separate oven, there are many great models that will suit your needs. A commercial convection oven makes a great addition to a home kitchen, and can be found in a variety of sizes and configurations. There are countertop units that are a bit smaller, but perfect when hoping to save space. If you have extra room, you can buy a model that stands alone, either on a stand or stacking with separate compartments. One of the best convection ovens out there for home use is made by Garland/US Range; the SDG-2. It's large, featuring a stand-alone configuration with two compartments. It is capable of a temperature range of 200F - 500F in just 60 minutes. It also features electric spark ignition and a two speed .75 horsepower fan motor. It's truly an excellent oven for any discerning chef! One of the fundamental stations at any restaurant or home kitchen is the sink. Most of the time, for residential use, a one-compartment sink is plenty, although many times you will need a 2-compartment option. Our stainless sinks are NSF approved and come in all different price points. View our selection here.
online, comprehensive catalog that you can peruse at your leisure. Call us at 1-800-319-0690! Finally, you want to be sure that when you buy restaurant equipment, you buy the highest quality items possible. While the quality of rarely-used home appliances may not matter as much, restaurant appliances are a different story. The rigors of use endured by equipment in a restaurant, cafe, coffeehouse, or bar are great compared to residential appliances, and you want to be confident that the equipment you're buying is going to last for years to come. Having to repair or replace your equipment early is a cost that can seriously affect your bottom line, not to mention the opportunity coast of lost business if you have to close for repairs! MissionRS.com is home to hundreds of trusted foodservice manufacturers and our prices are some of the most competitive on the market. This profound commitment to trustworthy merchandise coupled with our team devotion to top-notch customer service, makes MissionRS.com the place to shop for Restaurant Equipment and Supplies, online.
- One of the most essential baking supplies for any commercial operation is a floor mixer. Although there are many types of commercial mixers on the market in various sizes, a serious baking operation should invest in a floor model, as you'll presumably be doing large batches of product eventually, even if your needs are being met by a smaller model now. An additional benefit to the size of a floor mixer is that they can accommodate 50 lb. bags of flour, cake mix, cookie mix or whatever ingredients you'll need. Invest in a quality mixer as you'll use it often and you need one that can last you for many years into the future! Shop Mixers!
- Another supply you'll likely get a great deal of use from is a set of commercial baking pans. These also come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and it's good to buy a large selection. There are certain specialty pans that you may never need, but be sure to stock up on the basics. The most essential pans for every baker are cake pans, muffin pans, pie pans and sheet pans. It's important that you have a good stock of all of these. If you can build up a large supply of pans, you can use them in rotating shifts to improve productivity. For instance, if you're preparing something that requires proofing, you can be proofing one batch of dough already laid out on pans while another batch is in the oven or cooling on your other set of pans. Or, you can set up multiple sets of pans before close one night to be baked in the morning, saving time. Shop Baking Pans!
- Of course, you're going to need something to move all of these pans around on, which is why several bun pan racks need to be on your list of baking supplies to buy! These tall racks are extremely handy and just might see more use than any other piece of equipment in your kitchen. You will use them to transport your pans from place to place in the kitchen, and they're great for proofing dough or storing baked goods as well. Make sure to buy covers for all of them too. This seems like a minor detail but they come in very handy for keeping your products free of debris while they're on the rack. Often, bakers will just use large plastic bags as covers. While this is fine in a pinch, it's a bad habit as it's wasteful and expensive in the long run. The pan covers are quite affordable, and many of them are insulated, which comes in very handy for controlling the temperature of your baked goods. Shop Bun Pan Racks!
- While you'll be able to proof some types of dough simply by putting them on a bun pan rack in a warm area, other types will require an actual heat source. For this, you should buy at least one heated cabinet. These can be bought with a solid or glass door, depending on your needs. They're quite versatile though, and can be used for many kitchen tasks. Besides proofing, you can use your heated cabinet for keeping baked goods warm while transporting to a bakery case in the front of your house. Shop Holding/Proofing Cabinets!
- In addition to all of these supplies, there are a variety of other smaller items you'll need. Many of these depend on your bakery in particular, but can include things like pastry cutters, pie markers, rolling pins, spatulas and sifters. If in doubt, buy as many of these types of common bakery items as you can. Some items you may not see a use for immediately, but you'll need them at some point, and it's better to have them on hand than to be rushing around at the last minute searching your local supermarket for an inferior residential version. Several good kitchen timers are also a great idea. Although some ovens have built-in timers, it's better to set two just in case one of them fails. Or, you can set one a bit earlier to remind yourself to check it. This is especially important when familiarizing yourself with new equipment, or attempting a new recipe where you may be unsure of the exact baking time necessary. Shop all other Baking Supplies!
Hunting season is almost here! Whether you're a seasoned hunter or a first-timer, processing your own deer is a project worth undertaking. Venison meat processing at home is a great way to save money and when you have the right supplies, it's easy. The first thing you'll need if you hope to process your own venison is a good set of hunting knives. You'll use these quite a bit when preparing meat, so it's smart to buy a high-quality set. One excellent choice is the "HS5600-4 Hunter's Knife Set" made by the respected manufacturer, Mundial Knives. This set includes three different high-carbon stainless steel knives; 3.25-inch camping knife, a 6-inch curved boning knife, and an 8-inch steak knife. It also includes a matching 10-inch sharpening stone, which is a must for keeping your knives in the best shape possible. This is a well-made and very versatile set, and works great for cleaning other meats, as well as fish. Another item you'll want for venison meat processing is a meat tenderizer. A multi-blade handheld meat tenderizer is perfect for venison steaks, and can reduce cooking time drastically. If you want to prepare perfect, tender cuts of meat, it's a good item to have on hand. The Jaccard Super-3 is an excellent and affordable choice. It features 48 surgical stainless steel blades, stainless steel actuating columns and it's dishwasher safe! One of the most essential items for venison meat processing is a quality meat grinder. These are necessary for making ground venison for burgers, chili, burritos and many other dishes. A meat grinder will also be exceptionally handy for making chopped steak. There are several different types of grinders available, as well as general food processors with meat cutting and grinding attachments. One of the most basic, but sturdy grinders on the market is the Jayhawk Sales 22. This is a manual tabletop grinder, and manages to be both affordable as well as extremely durable. It's ideal if you plan to do a limited amount of meat grinding, as its capacity is limited compared to electric models. It will, however, provide years of trouble-free service. If you plan to take on a larger quantity of meat processing, you should consider stepping up to an electric model. Compared to a manual model, a commercial-grade electric grinder will process much faster with less effort from the operator. One of the best values in commercial electric meat grinders is the Vollrath 40743 model. It has a 100v motor, two grinder plates, a number 12 hub and is capable of processing 220 pounds of meat per hour! In addition, the Vollrath includes a stainless steel pan and other accessories such as a stuffer and funnel. It's a reliable model that can handle the rigors of commercial production, but is affordable enough for residential purchase. Another option for meat cutting and grinding is to buy a commercial food processor that is capable of heavy-duty meat processing. The Univex PM91 is a strong contender in this field in terms of quality and value. While it costs more than the Vollrath processor, it's also much more versatile due to its design and different attachments. The Univex PM91 uses a 1inch wide Poly-V belt system driven by a 1 HP motor, and is high-powered enough to process an incredible amount of food very quickly. The benefit of this model over a regular meat grinder is that by using different attachments, it can also slice vegetables, shred cheese, and cut meats in various ways beyond simple grinding. Because it's a heavy-duty commercial model, it can do all of this at a speed far beyond any consumer-grade processor. It's also extremely sturdy, built from heavy-duty stainless steel. If you really want to take your food production to the next level, it's hard to beat the PM91. Finally, don't forget about storing all of this meat! Other important purchases you should consider are a vacuum packaging machine, and if you don't already have one, a large chest freezer. For vacuum packaging, consider another great Vollrath product, the Vollrath 40858 Vacuum Packaging Machine. It's efficient and durable, and can extend the storage life of your food considerably. For a freezer, make sure you buy one that is large enough to handle a great volume of meat. The Arctic Air CF20 is a good choice in this area, constructed of steel and offering 20 cubic feet of storage. It also features heavy-duty casters that make it easy to move, and uses environmentally friendly 134A refrigerant.
Measurers Pie Plate Mixing Bowl Spatula Apple Corer Bake Sheet (and a big appetite!) What You Do: Coat a deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray also. In a small bowl combine 4 Tablespoons of melted butter, brown sugar and pecans. Mix well and spread evenly over the bottom of the pie plate, on top of the parchment. Place one of the crusts in the pie plate, pressing it firmly against the nut mixture and up the sides of the plate. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well. Add the apples in and toss gently to coat. Spoon into the pie crust. Place the second crust over the apple mixture. Trim and fold the edges together to seal and cut some slits in the top of the crust for venting. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until crust is golden brown in a 375 degree oven. (Mine took 1-1/4 hours in the bottom third of my oven.) Make sure to place a cookie sheet on the bottom oven rack to catch any drips from the pie. Let the pie cool for 5 minutes and then place a plate that is larger than the pie on top of it and flip it over. Use oven gloves as it will still be hot. Remove the pie plate and gently lift the paper. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
In the world of restaurants and dining out, the key to keeping a full house each and every day is consistency and satisfaction. Creating a well balanced menu with consistent results is obviously a very important factor, but other things like ambiance and clean bathrooms are equally as important as well. According to QSR, "Results of a recent study conducted by Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ:CTAS) reveal that 95 percent of people avoid businesses where they have had a negative restroom experience." That's NINETY FIVE PERCENT! Clearly, this is an issue not to be overlooked. Chefs and restaurateurs need to create that "Wow" factor to keep their customers loyal. Walking into a dirty bathroom that isn't properly maintained is an instant turn off and worst yet, it can deter even your biggest fans from coming back. At MissionRS.com we have a full selection of janitorial/bathroom products for you to choose from. From air sanitizers, to trash bins, from paper towels to toilet paper, we have everything you need to properly outfit your restaurant's bathrooms. Here are a few tips for keeping it clean.
- Ensure your facility has adequate soap so that you don't run out during peak hours. Dirty hands with both you customers and your employees are a major No no.
- Keep a trash bin both near the sink and next to the door. Many times, people use their paper towel to open the door before throwing it away.
- Stock up on plenty of toilet paper and paper towels.
- Make sure one of your employees is manning the restaurant bathrooms every so often. Making sure the sink is wiped down, toilets are flushed, and supplies are stocked will make a difference in the mind of your customer.
- Aside from the occasional spot clean, restaurant managers need to integrate exceptional standards of cleanliness through the use of professional cleaners. They should come regularly to uphold the deepest standards of cleanliness and ensure that floors, toilets, and sinks are 100% sanitary.
- Lighting is as important to the inside of a restaurant as it is the bathroom. Create an ambiance that is well thought out in all areas of your facility.
Halloween is just around the corner, but it's not too late to get some last minute necessities! We've created a page on MissionRS.com that's dedicated solely to all the Halloween products available to you! Check it out here! Scoop up these must-have items and may this October be a spook-tacular month!
- Our reversible cookie cutters feature 8 shapes, 4 Harvest-inspired shapes on one side, and 4 Halloween shapes on the other, so you can bake up delicious, festive cookies straight through Fall! This cookie cutter combo is easy to wash, easy to use, and delivers great results every time. Use your favorite cookie recipe and please your guests this Halloween! Get it here!
- If you really want to spice things up this year, get one of our custom Halloween-print tablecloths. Our tablecloths are a customer favorite at MissionRS.com and this seasonal print is perfect for all Halloween enthusiasts. Whether you're hosting a party, or just celebrating with close family and friends, our Halloween tablecloths will set the tone perfectly. Order these quick- our custom tablecloths normally take 8 business days to ship out! Get your holiday-patterned tablecloths here!
- The holiday season, beginning with Halloween, would not be complete without a little baking here and there. Our Cookie Press & Decorating Set comes with 14 different shaped discs (from pumpkins to holiday wreaths to butterflies), 6 decorating tips and recipes, and it comes neatly packaged in its own storage box. This cookie press comes apart for an easy clean up, and best yet, it is dishwasher safe! Kids and adults alike will love this easy-to-use cookie press set and the results won't fail to please! Get it here!
- One of our newest items here at MissionRS.com, this 3-D Pumpkin Bundt Set is a charming must-have for the Fall Season! Get yours in time for Halloween, and make your own pumpkin cake with little to no hassle! The set comes with two 6-cup Bundt pans to create a 3-D pumpkin cake. Simply bake the two bunt pans, spread frosting on the bottom of each cake, and place the frosted cakes together to form a pumpkin! Made by Nordic Ware, a leader in innovative and quality baking supplies, this Pumpkin Cake will be a mainstay for your entertaining needs this Fall season! Get it here!
- What better way to showcase delicious autumn breads and cakes than with this Pumpkin Harvest Loaf Pan? The non-stick, cast aluminum pan has intricate detailing with vines of pumpkins, and a durable exterior that will stand the test of time. Get baking this Fall with this great product, available for a limited time only. Get it here!
- THIS JUST IN: A 4 piece Halloween cookie cutter set by Fox Run that's loaded with your favorite spooky shapes, from Bats to Cats, Pumpkins to Ghosts. These plastic cookie cutters come packed together, and best yet, they are only $1.95 for the set! Get yours here!
Have a very Happy Halloween!
MissionRS.com we stock a large number of can openers ranging in size, price, and function to suit your every need. Commercial Can Openers Commercial Kitchens require equipment and supplies that can withstand the rigors of heavy usage on a day to day basis. Our commercial can openers do just that and they are able to open volumes of industrial-sized cans with ease and optimal efficiency. We have electric can openers that can open anywhere from 50 to 100 cans a day, and table or wall-mount varieties suitable for different sized cans. Made of a durable, heavy-duty stainless steel construction and outfitted with many different features, including rust resistant arbors, knife replacements, removable and reversible blade assemblies, and NSF approvals, these can openers are built to perform. The majority of our commercial can openers are made in Burlington, Vermont by Edlund, a company that has invested its reputation in making easy to use, easy to clean can openers for the foodservice industry. A customer favorite for commercial use is the Edlund-1 Model. A comparable model to the Edlund table-mounted can openers is this Table-Mount variety by MissionRS Mfg. Lots of different options are available to you with great price points to match. Residential Can Openers: Almost every residential kitchen has the need for a can opener, but the size necessary for day-in-day-out use isn't as demanding as a commercial application. At MissionRS.com we have a big selection of functional home can openers, from the steel, can punch varieties to the fancier OXO Easy Grip and the all-in-one corkscrew and can-bottle opener model. All of our residential options are affordable, easy to use, and they perform efficiently for light home use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and confectioner's sugar
- Cut in butter until combined and crumbly.
- Press mixture into bottom of pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- While crust is baking, prepare topping.
- In a larger bowl, add sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Then add slightly beaten eggs and lemon juice.
- Mix well and pour on top of warm baked crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar and refrigerate.
- Cut into bars and enjoy them cold!
Every beverage, whether alcoholic or not, has an ideal temperature, and most bars and restaurants never learn them all. After a long day in the sun, few things taste as refreshing as an ice-cold lager, but even among beers there should be a varying scale of temperatures.
- Beer. Bar refrigeration is often set at a standard temperature for all beers: close to freezing or at least frosting. Though some beers might be better served warmer (at 45F or higher) so as to bring out all the flavors, most people will agree that beer is best when its lightly frosted.
- Wine. The rule of thumb to keep red wines at room temperature and whites in a refrigerator was developed centuries ago, when "room temperature" meant in a drafty, medieval hall. When a wine is served too cold it restricts the flavors of the wine, while warmth just makes it taste like alcohol. For bar refrigeration standards, reds should generally be served at 60F, whites just a tad cooler at 55F.
- Water. Backpackers returning from Europe will often complain about the lack of ice cubes throughout the continent. Water is served not hot but warm over there, and Americans like their drinks frigid. Nutritionists say drinking at a natural temperature is best for your body, and only glacier water occurs as naturally cold as Americans prefer. To promote proper absorption and to keep the taste buds from numbing, water, like white wine, should be served at a cool (not cold!) 55F.
Shop all Bar Refrigeration at MissionRS.com!
Call us at 1-800-319-0690 or email us at email@example.com and we will get back to you!
Items 1 to 10 of 12 total