Author Archives: admin
Every year the market prepares for new products and services which result in price increases by our manufacturers. This list is here for you to reference the brands on our site that are raising their prices with the arrival of 2014: SHOP AT MISSIONRS.COM TODAY AND PLEASE CALL US TO SPEAK TO A SALES REPRESENTATIVE WITH ANY QUESTIONS AT 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 6:30 PM CST.
In recent years, the foodservice industry has been "going green" thanks to the implementation of more and more sustainable practices. Our leading commercial refrigeration brand, True Manufacturing, is a great case study of this commitment to sustainability. Over their 65 year history, this family-owned company has made significant, meaningful steps to minimize their carbon footprint while leading the way for green innovation in the foodservice industry. They've done this by utilizing not only energy efficient practices (i.e. using recycled composite materials) but also by pushing advanced technology to update their refrigeration systems as a whole.
Here are the ways True is making a difference:
- The Ecomate® insulated blowing agent used in their boxes has zero ODP (Ozone Depletion Potential) and zero GWP (Global Warming Potential)
- True uses a closed loop water system to conserve water
- They use recycled composite materials
- True's reversing condenser fan motor ensures that the condensers are free from dirt and debris which equates to optimal condenser performance, colder holding temperatures and better overall efficiency on your investment
- True Equipment meets RoHS compliance ("Restriction of use of certain Hazardous Substances") in electrical equipment (Hazard substances like lead, mercury and cadmium have been reduced by 99%)
- Reduced water usage by 40% per square foot
- 100% of all scrap metal was recycled
- Natural gas consumption was reduced by 60% per square foot
- CO2 release was reduced by 136,000 metric tons
- 99.97% reduction in TRI (toxic release inventory)
- Water usage was reduced by 50% per square foot
Like every new season, the holidays bring with it a renewed excitement for entertaining. With all the events that are starting to pick up, just as they do with the first of spring, summer, and fall, there is much to be done to get your catering business in order. Below are some of the essentials to get you ready & on your way:
- One of the most essential items for caterers large and small is the trusty insulated pan carrier for safe transporting of food from one place to the next. Since most catered foods are prepared away from your client's site, having a durable, efficient, and food safe place to transport food is imperative. Our Cambro "Camcarriers" are made of a highly durable, double-walled polyethylene that won't break, rust, or dent. These units are available in all different sizes, colors, and capacities, and they are designed to keep your food temperatures at 135°F or higher, or at 41°F or lower. (Remember this article on the Temperature Danger Zone?) Convenient beverage dispensing is also paramount to a well-catered event. These insulated beverage dispensers keep your drinks at the right temperature and make for easy transport.
- Having plenty of ice on hand, whether it be for keeping drinks iced down or separate for serving with drinks, is very important, as is the way in which it is stored. Ice caddies, or mobile ice bins, are the ideal way to move large volumes of ice safely and efficiently- get yours today, and don't forget about investing in a dependable commercial ice machine!
- Chafing Dishes are a mainstay in the world of catering and they make serving foods at maintainable, safe temperatures both elegant and dependable. At Mission we have an assorted array of chafing dishes for commercial or home use, and they range in style, aesthetic, and price point, so you can find a natural fit for your business interests. (Make sure to buy your chafer fuel as well!)
- Portable Cooking Equipment like Commercial Outdoor Grills & Griddles are designed for caterers doing lots of on-site, mobile food preparation. Crown Verity makes the highest quality, moveable, outdoor griddles and grills on the market with 6-7 minute high temperature pre-heat times, and they come fully assembled and crated for the most convenience. They are also equipped with oversized traction wheels for easy maneuverability by one person in all different outdoor settings. Choose between many different sizes, styles, and accessories to get the ultimate grilling experience for your catering needs.
- Disposables are often a big consumable for the catering industry, from food pans to aluminum foil to dinnerware. At Mission Restaurant Supply you will find a selection of bulk disposable products that will make life easier for the next catered event.
- Banquet Carts are essential to the large-volume catering company for two reasons: mobility and hot food holding over a period of time. With mobile banquet carts like the ones we have online by Alto-Shaam and other food service brands, you can rest assured that supplies can be easily transported and food can be properly maintained until ready to serve.
- Portable Buffet Units and Portable Bar Service are two other essentials that make serving food and beverages more streamlined and organized for your catering staff.
- There are many, many smallwares that make up a well-stocked catering kitchen, from elegant linens to flatware and cookware, not to mention all of the equipment that goes into preparing these foods, like Combi Ovens which maximize space and multi-task to bring you more efficiency and menu versatility all in one space-saving footprint.
- Having adequate refrigeration is key to every catering business as refrigerated and frozen storage is crucial to keeping ingredients fresh, safe, and ready. At MissionRS.com you will find a wide selection of commercial Refrigerators and commercial Freezers in all sizes.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so why not make it Texas-sized? At Mission Restaurant Supply your very own Texas Waffle Maker awaits you. This best-selling, non-commercial waffle maker has been a best-seller on the site for years and it makes delicious, golden waffles with every use. Here are some tips for getting the best use out of your investment: Operating Tips For Your New Texas Waffle Maker:
- Before use, it's always important to season your non-stick cooking surfaces. Open the waffle and season the griddles with cooking oil using a paper towel. Wipe off excess oil and discard the first waffle or two, which will more than likely be oily.
- The operating light will turn on when the waffle is plugged in and begins to heat up. After about 5 minutes, the light will turn off, telling you the griddle is nice and hot, and ready for your mix! The light will stay off and the griddle will stay hot as long as the unit is plugged in.
- Use roughly 2/3 cup of pancake or waffle mix per baking cycle! Once poured on the griddle plate, the ready light will turn on and you can close it lightly. *Be sure not to push it tightly closed as the waffle will need to steam and rise as it cooks. When the waffle is ready the ready light will turn off.
- Cleaning your Texas Waffle Maker is very easy and should be done after the unit has completely cooled off. Do not clean the waffle maker when it is still hot. This Texas Waffle Maker cooks fast thanks to its 800 watt grill plates, and it should be completely cool so you don't burn yourself in the process, or warp the elements. When it's cool, simply wipe down the grill plates with a damp sponge of soft cloth and do the same with the outside of the waffle maker. Avoid using abrasive elements to scrub and resist from applying chemical cleaners directly on the unit.
- Syrup & Honey
"Behind every piece of gas cooking equipment is a high quality, code compliant gas connector designed to provide maximum operation, mobility, cleanliness and safety for your equipment and kitchen." - Dormont
In a nut shell, the truth is that a kitchen can't function without safe, flexible gas connections. Outfitting your commercial cooking equipment with the right tools for gas safety starts with one name: Dormont. (To read more about the importance of gas safety, we recommend reading this helpful article.) For over 50 years, Dormont has been manufacturing gas hoses that are designed for the commercial industry and credit is given to them for actually introducing the first moveable-grade gas connector. At the heart of this innovation is the brand's iconic Blue Hose, which is found in many of our gas connection kits. Dormont's Blue Hose is an absolute essential for the foodservice operator looking for the best connector for their gas-powered kitchen equipment. As you can see in the diagram below by Dormont, the Blue Hose is designed to withstand the rigors of commercial use and is engineered to deliver the best safety, sanitation, and efficiency to your venue. The Dormont Blue Hose is a moveable-grade connector meaning that it is designed for strength and with use with equipment that is caster-mounted or subject to mobility. Below is a diagram provided by the brand that showcases the key features and benefits of the Blue Hose:
Other cool tidbits about Dormont Gas Hoses?
- Every Dormont Hose is Made in the USA
- Every Connector is 100% Leak Tested
The team at Mission Restaurant Supply is very excited to now be able to offer you Blendtec Blenders! High quality and stellar performance are two things we always strive to represent with our product offering, and with Blendtec, that is just what you get. Why Choose Blendtec?
- It's USA Engineered, Sourced & Assembled "We're bucking the trend of offshore manufacturing...bringing as much production in house as possible, sourcing materials within the US as well, and employing hundreds of Americans who take great pride in their work."
- They Pioneered "The Blend Cycle" Blendtec responded to the ever-changing and ever-demanding foodservice need to create consistent menu items, all with different ingredients and preparation requirements. After all, preparing a smoothie will be different from margaritas which are different to prepare than fresh juices and frozen coffees. They did this by developing an innovative series of pre-programmed blending times and speed variations which are all uniquely regulated and standardized for each recipe. What does this mean for the end user? With the push of a button, you can create the picture-perfect blend for a wide array of drinks.
- They're Backed By The Strongest Warranty In The Industry Blendtec stands strongly behind their product and is proud to offer the most robust warranty terms in the industry with 3 year parts and labor included on all their commercial blenders aside from the EZ which is covered under 1 year parts and labor. Furthermore, the brand's Service Plus Program, available for all the blenders except the EZ, is a cost-effective opportunity, available at no additional cost, for customers to buy a replacement motor at a significantly discounted rate in the event your Blendtec motor goes out when the unit is out of warranty.
- The EZ by Blendtec is priced right and designed for success making it the ideal purchase for the business or end user that is looking to start small with their blending program. The EZ is equipped with a 3 Peak HP motor that packs enough power to tackle any ingredient presented to it and yields smooth, consistent results with every use. The EZ also has simple touchpad controls that are capable of storing 30 pre-programmed blending cycles so you can access your most successful blending programs at the push of a button. Furthermore, the EZ is equipped with an illuminated blue LED display so you can quickly view your profile cycle, the time remaining, and the total cycle count, even in dark environments. Get the best entry-level blender with the best price point, versatility, and blending performance with the EZ, and experience the power of Blendtec. 1 year parts and labor warranty.
- The Q-SERIES is described by Blendtec as "the blender that speaks softly- and carries a big motor" and customers across the globe appreciate this motto along with the exceeded expectations the Q-Series delivers to their businesses. It's equipped with a powerful 3.8 HP motor that operates off of a simple one-touch operation. The Q-Series is quiet to operate thanks to its fully-enclosed sound barrier that encases the container and muffles the sound so your customers can enjoy their meals and conversations without the added racket of the machines. The Q-Series offers the convenience of storing up to 30 pre-programmed blend cycles which you can customize to your liking on your computer. Enjoy pristine performance for your high volume needs all with very low noise plus enjoy the manufacturer's generous full 3 year parts and labor warranty.
- The revolutionary STEALTH blender delivers what the brand calls Quiet Confidence so your customers can talk, laugh, converse and enjoy their orders at the counter or their tables without having to shout over the racket of hard-working blenders during lunch or peak dining hours. Enjoy the benefits and conveniences of the "quietest, most advanced commercial blender" on the market. These benefits include but are not limited to a web-based programmability, an illuminated blue LED touch control surface with a touch slider for precise manual speed control visible even in darker environments, an advanced sound-dampening enclosure that's sealed to trap noise, a "floating" motor technology which is designed to reduce vibration and further dampen noise put off from the 3.8 HP motor, along with a USB programming system which can store up to 42 pre-programmed blending cycles which are customized on your computer and easily loaded with a USB flash device and the Blend Wizard we app. This state of the art technology and engineered design is backed by Blendtec's full 3 year parts and labor warranty.
One of the best things about fall weather is the creativity that it inspires in the kitchen. Whether you're going out to your favorite neighborhood restaurant or cooking from the comforts of home, foodies everywhere delight in gathering seasonal ingredients from local markets, to stirring up hearty stews, curling up with a hot toddy, and entertaining for friends and family. There are so many wonderful recipes out there that we can't wait to try. We've gathered up a few of our favorites for your fall perusal- Enjoy + Bon Appetit! 1. Pumpkin Chili The title picture shown above is of this delightful vegetarian pumpkin chili found on one of our favorite culinary sites, theKitchn. Looks amazing, right? With all the healthy, flavorful ingredients simmered into this concotion (think cloves, cumin, red bell peppers, sliced tomatoes, green chilies, pumpkin...) we can only imagine how good it would taste on a cold afternoon! 2. The 10 Best Pumpkin Bites If you love beautiful photographs and great culinary ideas for home entertaining you will adore Texas tastemaker Camille Styles' vibrant site. We fell in love with these "10 Best" Pumpkin Dishes that she brought together. From the pumpkin, quinoa & hazlenut gnocchi to the garlic, rosemary and pumpkin hummus, this Top 10 List has us in full fall mode. 3. Turkey Time Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa) is one of our favorites for her classic approach to so many favorite dishes, like a holiday turkey. This recipe is one we're longing to try- if it turns out anything like her famous roasted chicken we're in the clear! 4. Mulled Apple Cider Oh the joys of a hot toddy. This old-favorite on The Pioneer Woman's website is loaded with satisfying ingredients- think ground cloves, fresh-squeezed apple juice, orange peel and maple syrup- for that next dreary winter's day! 5. October Cupcake Inspiration Cupcakes are all the rage these days and with Halloween this month we can bet there will be lots of creativity brewing when it comes to decoration. In case you need some inspiration to get started, check out these 16 spooky cupcake ideas found on Delish.com. (Our favorite: #10 The Wicked Witch!)
Though not one of our most glamorous products, this complete Griddle Cleaning Kit by 3M is truly one of our best-selling ones, and for good reason! There is no better gratification than taking a nasty, greasy griddle and making it new again. This complete kit cleans in half the time of traditional cleaning products and includes all the essentials to make sure you get that fresh, restored clean in the smallest amount of time. The kit comes complete with: You can pick up your own Griddle Cleaning System on our website!
Combination ovens, or "combi" ovens, as they are nicknamed in the industry, represent the rising monarchy of cooking equipment with a tremendous presence developing around the world. A "Combi" oven is essentially a traditional convection oven with the added functionality of steaming so chefs can use one piece of equipment to steam, cook with hot convected air like in a traditional oven, or utilize a combination of the two. This revolutionary technology was first developed in Europe in the 1970s as a response to the tiny kitchens found in European restaurants. It was the essence of space that drove early pioneers of this technology to develop a method of cooking that would eliminate the need for multiple pieces of equipment and instead have one multi-functional unit that could handle a wide range of tasks, from steaming to poaching, roasting, blanching, baking, rethermalizing and even proofing in some cases, all with a tiny footprint. In Europe today, there is a "combi" in almost every kitchen, and with the rising popularity spreading farther and farther across the globe, we predict a growing presence in American kitchens in the near future. Why Buy A Combi Oven?
- Consistent! With the advanced combi technology utilized by these machines, your restaurant will be able to get the precision and consistency that they need with every cook cycle.
- Space Saving! For a kitchen to be efficient, equipment must be readily accessible and organized in a way where production is streamlined. Minimizing the number of pieces of equipment required to prepare your menu is key! That's the beauty of the Combi Oven.
- Resourceful! Doing more with less is one of the biggest benefits that a combi oven can bring to your kitchen.Whether you're in healthcare, the hospitality industry, you're a caterer, operate a school cafeteria or you run a restaurant of your own, having a combi oven in the back of the house is a resourceful investment that will save significant time and labor.
- With hot air circulating around the cavity of the oven, chefs can take everything from steaks to pizza and get the crispy outer browning and intense aromas AND flavors that your customers love, all in a very short amount of time.
- With the introduction of humidity and moisture to the oven cavity, foods ranging from vegetables to shellfish, eggs and poultry can all be steam cooked to perfection. Steaming drastically reduces cook times and accelerates heat transfer, thus eliminating the shrink of the food, while giving your dishes that healthful glow since steaming helps retain the natural colors and nutrients of the food.Virtually anything that you would boil or poach can be thrown into the combi and steamed, eliminating the need for your old stand-alone steamer in the kitchen.
- As you can imagine, bringing together the benefits of both traditional convected air and steam/moisture is a winning combination. You get the crispy, golden exterior with a juicy, moist interior that your customers love and expect!
Foodborne Illness is a serious concern that impacts the day-to-day safety and sanitation practice put forth by everyone preparing food. Though there is a great effort by agencies like ServSafe and the National Restaurant Association's Education Foundation (NRAEF) to train foodservice personnel about the risks and liabilities associated with improper food handling, there continues to be cases where these illnesses occur. This article highlights some of the most common reasons for these illnesses (not in particular order) and offers tips for rectifying the situation: 1. Cross Contamination Cross Contamination occurs when microorganisms are transferred from one preparation surface or food product to another. With all the hands that are involved in preparing and plating a meal in a restaurant, cross contamination can easily happen if your staff isn't properly trained and educated on the risks associated with food handling. Between receiving food, storing food, prepping food, plating food, and serving it to your customer, there are a number of ways that cross contamination can occur. By investing in tools like color-coated cutting boards which train staff to cut different food types on different food surfaces, encouraging avid cleaning and sanitization, and proper food storage, cross contamination can be minimized. Most importantly, it takes a thorough training and understanding by your staff of the risks associated with improper food handling. 2. Personal Hygiene It's pretty nasty to think about but poor personal hygiene is one of the top 3 most common causes for the outbreak of foodborne illness. By not washing hands after using the restroom, in between preparing different kinds of raw or uncooked foods, coughing, sneezing, scratching, or coming to work sick, there are immediate risks for transmitting microscopic germs and potentially harmful foodborne illnesses on to your customers. Installing multiple hand sinks as required by your health code is one of the best tools to emphasize the importance and requirement of hand washing in your commercial kitchen. To read more about proper hand washing read this article! 3. Time/Temperature Management In general, there are 3 main ways that people can get sick from the time/temperature equation: a. If foods aren't cooled properly b. If foods aren't cooked or reheated properly c. If foods aren't stored and held at proper temperatures. The temperature "danger zone" is talked about in greater detail in this article where it details the risk of bacteria growth when food is exposed to dangerous temperatures. Food Safety is a topic that anyone preparing and serving food should take seriously (and this doesn't exclude home cooks)! By understanding some of the basic practices and principles you can rest assured you will be free from the risk and liabilities of foodborne illnesses.