Common questions before and after you purchase your restaurant equipment and supplies.
Every year the market prepares for new products and services which result in price increases by our manufacturers. This list is here for you to reference the brands on our site that are raising their prices with the arrival of 2014: SHOP AT MISSIONRS.COM TODAY AND PLEASE CALL US TO SPEAK TO A SALES REPRESENTATIVE WITH ANY QUESTIONS AT 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 6:30 PM CST.
In recent years, the foodservice industry has been "going green" thanks to the implementation of more and more sustainable practices. Our leading commercial refrigeration brand, True Manufacturing, is a great case study of this commitment to sustainability. Over their 65 year history, this family-owned company has made significant, meaningful steps to minimize their carbon footprint while leading the way for green innovation in the foodservice industry. They've done this by utilizing not only energy efficient practices (i.e. using recycled composite materials) but also by pushing advanced technology to update their refrigeration systems as a whole.
Here are the ways True is making a difference:
- The Ecomate® insulated blowing agent used in their boxes has zero ODP (Ozone Depletion Potential) and zero GWP (Global Warming Potential)
- True uses a closed loop water system to conserve water
- They use recycled composite materials
- True's reversing condenser fan motor ensures that the condensers are free from dirt and debris which equates to optimal condenser performance, colder holding temperatures and better overall efficiency on your investment
- True Equipment meets RoHS compliance ("Restriction of use of certain Hazardous Substances") in electrical equipment (Hazard substances like lead, mercury and cadmium have been reduced by 99%)
- Reduced water usage by 40% per square foot
- 100% of all scrap metal was recycled
- Natural gas consumption was reduced by 60% per square foot
- CO2 release was reduced by 136,000 metric tons
- 99.97% reduction in TRI (toxic release inventory)
- Water usage was reduced by 50% per square foot
Like every new season, the holidays bring with it a renewed excitement for entertaining. With all the events that are starting to pick up, just as they do with the first of spring, summer, and fall, there is much to be done to get your catering business in order. Below are some of the essentials to get you ready & on your way:
- One of the most essential items for caterers large and small is the trusty insulated pan carrier for safe transporting of food from one place to the next. Since most catered foods are prepared away from your client's site, having a durable, efficient, and food safe place to transport food is imperative. Our Cambro "Camcarriers" are made of a highly durable, double-walled polyethylene that won't break, rust, or dent. These units are available in all different sizes, colors, and capacities, and they are designed to keep your food temperatures at 135°F or higher, or at 41°F or lower. (Remember this article on the Temperature Danger Zone?) Convenient beverage dispensing is also paramount to a well-catered event. These insulated beverage dispensers keep your drinks at the right temperature and make for easy transport.
- Having plenty of ice on hand, whether it be for keeping drinks iced down or separate for serving with drinks, is very important, as is the way in which it is stored. Ice caddies, or mobile ice bins, are the ideal way to move large volumes of ice safely and efficiently- get yours today, and don't forget about investing in a dependable commercial ice machine!
- Chafing Dishes are a mainstay in the world of catering and they make serving foods at maintainable, safe temperatures both elegant and dependable. At Mission we have an assorted array of chafing dishes for commercial or home use, and they range in style, aesthetic, and price point, so you can find a natural fit for your business interests. (Make sure to buy your chafer fuel as well!)
- Portable Cooking Equipment like Commercial Outdoor Grills & Griddles are designed for caterers doing lots of on-site, mobile food preparation. Crown Verity makes the highest quality, moveable, outdoor griddles and grills on the market with 6-7 minute high temperature pre-heat times, and they come fully assembled and crated for the most convenience. They are also equipped with oversized traction wheels for easy maneuverability by one person in all different outdoor settings. Choose between many different sizes, styles, and accessories to get the ultimate grilling experience for your catering needs.
- Disposables are often a big consumable for the catering industry, from food pans to aluminum foil to dinnerware. At Mission Restaurant Supply you will find a selection of bulk disposable products that will make life easier for the next catered event.
- Banquet Carts are essential to the large-volume catering company for two reasons: mobility and hot food holding over a period of time. With mobile banquet carts like the ones we have online by Alto-Shaam and other food service brands, you can rest assured that supplies can be easily transported and food can be properly maintained until ready to serve.
- Portable Buffet Units and Portable Bar Service are two other essentials that make serving food and beverages more streamlined and organized for your catering staff.
- There are many, many smallwares that make up a well-stocked catering kitchen, from elegant linens to flatware and cookware, not to mention all of the equipment that goes into preparing these foods, like Combi Ovens which maximize space and multi-task to bring you more efficiency and menu versatility all in one space-saving footprint.
- Having adequate refrigeration is key to every catering business as refrigerated and frozen storage is crucial to keeping ingredients fresh, safe, and ready. At MissionRS.com you will find a wide selection of commercial Refrigerators and commercial Freezers in all sizes.
The team at Mission Restaurant Supply is very excited to now be able to offer you Blendtec Blenders! High quality and stellar performance are two things we always strive to represent with our product offering, and with Blendtec, that is just what you get. Why Choose Blendtec?
- It's USA Engineered, Sourced & Assembled "We're bucking the trend of offshore manufacturing...bringing as much production in house as possible, sourcing materials within the US as well, and employing hundreds of Americans who take great pride in their work."
- They Pioneered "The Blend Cycle" Blendtec responded to the ever-changing and ever-demanding foodservice need to create consistent menu items, all with different ingredients and preparation requirements. After all, preparing a smoothie will be different from margaritas which are different to prepare than fresh juices and frozen coffees. They did this by developing an innovative series of pre-programmed blending times and speed variations which are all uniquely regulated and standardized for each recipe. What does this mean for the end user? With the push of a button, you can create the picture-perfect blend for a wide array of drinks.
- They're Backed By The Strongest Warranty In The Industry Blendtec stands strongly behind their product and is proud to offer the most robust warranty terms in the industry with 3 year parts and labor included on all their commercial blenders aside from the EZ which is covered under 1 year parts and labor. Furthermore, the brand's Service Plus Program, available for all the blenders except the EZ, is a cost-effective opportunity, available at no additional cost, for customers to buy a replacement motor at a significantly discounted rate in the event your Blendtec motor goes out when the unit is out of warranty.
- The EZ by Blendtec is priced right and designed for success making it the ideal purchase for the business or end user that is looking to start small with their blending program. The EZ is equipped with a 3 Peak HP motor that packs enough power to tackle any ingredient presented to it and yields smooth, consistent results with every use. The EZ also has simple touchpad controls that are capable of storing 30 pre-programmed blending cycles so you can access your most successful blending programs at the push of a button. Furthermore, the EZ is equipped with an illuminated blue LED display so you can quickly view your profile cycle, the time remaining, and the total cycle count, even in dark environments. Get the best entry-level blender with the best price point, versatility, and blending performance with the EZ, and experience the power of Blendtec. 1 year parts and labor warranty.
- The Q-SERIES is described by Blendtec as "the blender that speaks softly- and carries a big motor" and customers across the globe appreciate this motto along with the exceeded expectations the Q-Series delivers to their businesses. It's equipped with a powerful 3.8 HP motor that operates off of a simple one-touch operation. The Q-Series is quiet to operate thanks to its fully-enclosed sound barrier that encases the container and muffles the sound so your customers can enjoy their meals and conversations without the added racket of the machines. The Q-Series offers the convenience of storing up to 30 pre-programmed blend cycles which you can customize to your liking on your computer. Enjoy pristine performance for your high volume needs all with very low noise plus enjoy the manufacturer's generous full 3 year parts and labor warranty.
- The revolutionary STEALTH blender delivers what the brand calls Quiet Confidence so your customers can talk, laugh, converse and enjoy their orders at the counter or their tables without having to shout over the racket of hard-working blenders during lunch or peak dining hours. Enjoy the benefits and conveniences of the "quietest, most advanced commercial blender" on the market. These benefits include but are not limited to a web-based programmability, an illuminated blue LED touch control surface with a touch slider for precise manual speed control visible even in darker environments, an advanced sound-dampening enclosure that's sealed to trap noise, a "floating" motor technology which is designed to reduce vibration and further dampen noise put off from the 3.8 HP motor, along with a USB programming system which can store up to 42 pre-programmed blending cycles which are customized on your computer and easily loaded with a USB flash device and the Blend Wizard we app. This state of the art technology and engineered design is backed by Blendtec's full 3 year parts and labor warranty.
Though not one of our most glamorous products, this complete Griddle Cleaning Kit by 3M is truly one of our best-selling ones, and for good reason! There is no better gratification than taking a nasty, greasy griddle and making it new again. This complete kit cleans in half the time of traditional cleaning products and includes all the essentials to make sure you get that fresh, restored clean in the smallest amount of time. The kit comes complete with: You can pick up your own Griddle Cleaning System on our website!
Combination ovens, or "combi" ovens, as they are nicknamed in the industry, represent the rising monarchy of cooking equipment with a tremendous presence developing around the world. A "Combi" oven is essentially a traditional convection oven with the added functionality of steaming so chefs can use one piece of equipment to steam, cook with hot convected air like in a traditional oven, or utilize a combination of the two. This revolutionary technology was first developed in Europe in the 1970s as a response to the tiny kitchens found in European restaurants. It was the essence of space that drove early pioneers of this technology to develop a method of cooking that would eliminate the need for multiple pieces of equipment and instead have one multi-functional unit that could handle a wide range of tasks, from steaming to poaching, roasting, blanching, baking, rethermalizing and even proofing in some cases, all with a tiny footprint. In Europe today, there is a "combi" in almost every kitchen, and with the rising popularity spreading farther and farther across the globe, we predict a growing presence in American kitchens in the near future. Why Buy A Combi Oven?
- Consistent! With the advanced combi technology utilized by these machines, your restaurant will be able to get the precision and consistency that they need with every cook cycle.
- Space Saving! For a kitchen to be efficient, equipment must be readily accessible and organized in a way where production is streamlined. Minimizing the number of pieces of equipment required to prepare your menu is key! That's the beauty of the Combi Oven.
- Resourceful! Doing more with less is one of the biggest benefits that a combi oven can bring to your kitchen.Whether you're in healthcare, the hospitality industry, you're a caterer, operate a school cafeteria or you run a restaurant of your own, having a combi oven in the back of the house is a resourceful investment that will save significant time and labor.
- With hot air circulating around the cavity of the oven, chefs can take everything from steaks to pizza and get the crispy outer browning and intense aromas AND flavors that your customers love, all in a very short amount of time.
- With the introduction of humidity and moisture to the oven cavity, foods ranging from vegetables to shellfish, eggs and poultry can all be steam cooked to perfection. Steaming drastically reduces cook times and accelerates heat transfer, thus eliminating the shrink of the food, while giving your dishes that healthful glow since steaming helps retain the natural colors and nutrients of the food.Virtually anything that you would boil or poach can be thrown into the combi and steamed, eliminating the need for your old stand-alone steamer in the kitchen.
- As you can imagine, bringing together the benefits of both traditional convected air and steam/moisture is a winning combination. You get the crispy, golden exterior with a juicy, moist interior that your customers love and expect!
Foodborne Illness is a serious concern that impacts the day-to-day safety and sanitation practice put forth by everyone preparing food. Though there is a great effort by agencies like ServSafe and the National Restaurant Association's Education Foundation (NRAEF) to train foodservice personnel about the risks and liabilities associated with improper food handling, there continues to be cases where these illnesses occur. This article highlights some of the most common reasons for these illnesses (not in particular order) and offers tips for rectifying the situation: 1. Cross Contamination Cross Contamination occurs when microorganisms are transferred from one preparation surface or food product to another. With all the hands that are involved in preparing and plating a meal in a restaurant, cross contamination can easily happen if your staff isn't properly trained and educated on the risks associated with food handling. Between receiving food, storing food, prepping food, plating food, and serving it to your customer, there are a number of ways that cross contamination can occur. By investing in tools like color-coated cutting boards which train staff to cut different food types on different food surfaces, encouraging avid cleaning and sanitization, and proper food storage, cross contamination can be minimized. Most importantly, it takes a thorough training and understanding by your staff of the risks associated with improper food handling. 2. Personal Hygiene It's pretty nasty to think about but poor personal hygiene is one of the top 3 most common causes for the outbreak of foodborne illness. By not washing hands after using the restroom, in between preparing different kinds of raw or uncooked foods, coughing, sneezing, scratching, or coming to work sick, there are immediate risks for transmitting microscopic germs and potentially harmful foodborne illnesses on to your customers. Installing multiple hand sinks as required by your health code is one of the best tools to emphasize the importance and requirement of hand washing in your commercial kitchen. To read more about proper hand washing read this article! 3. Time/Temperature Management In general, there are 3 main ways that people can get sick from the time/temperature equation: a. If foods aren't cooled properly b. If foods aren't cooked or reheated properly c. If foods aren't stored and held at proper temperatures. The temperature "danger zone" is talked about in greater detail in this article where it details the risk of bacteria growth when food is exposed to dangerous temperatures. Food Safety is a topic that anyone preparing and serving food should take seriously (and this doesn't exclude home cooks)! By understanding some of the basic practices and principles you can rest assured you will be free from the risk and liabilities of foodborne illnesses.
How many people play a part in your day-to-day food preparation? Chances are there are a number of hands involved in getting a meal prepped and plated in a timely manner. Knowing this, it is crucial that your staff is educated on food safety. One of the foremost reasons for the outbreak of foodborne illnesses stems from cross contamination in the workplace. There are a number of situations where cross contamination can occur:
- Cutting boards, knives and other preparation equipment that aren't cleaned and sanitized in between use with different food types (i.e. raw versus cooked) can result in cross contamination, and ultimately, illness.
- Dirty kitchen surfaces and any surface that hasn't been cleaned and sanitized prior to and in between food contact can easily contaminate your food with germs. Therefore, it is crucial that proper cleaning and sanitizing is being practiced on a continual basis.You may want to invest in color-coated cleaning pails which distinguish your cleaning solution (green pail) from your sanitizing solution (red pail).
- Dirty cleaning supplies (i.e. towels, cloths, brushes) can just as easily cross contaminate food contact surfaces which is why it's important to always have plenty of cleaning tools and linens on hand while being adamant about regularly washing them.
- Raw food items that are added to a meal without further cooking can cross contaminate as can the liquids from raw foods that could drip or make contact with other foods that are ready to serve. Resolution: Make sure that foods are covered fully and tightly in the refrigerator.
- Hands that have been preparing different foods can also cross-transfer germs and contaminate your food. Having adequate hand washing stations is not only incredibly important but also mandatory by your local health code. Be sure you have adequate hand washing stations near the wash rooms, the prep stations, and throughout the kitchen. There are also tools dedicated to reducing the risk of cross contamination, like these ice handling totes and supplies which make moving large amounts of ice easy while keeping dirty hands away.
You know that meal or dining experience that'll always resonate as being thoroughly awesome? It's the feeling of being "Wowed" that creates these delightful memories, and let's face it, we all love to be on the receiving end.
In the foodservice industry, "The Wow Factor," as it is so often called, is the indication of a job well done for the chef, the waiter, and the operator at large. This industry is after all a service-based industry and is deeply rooted on the principle of delivering great service, professional expertise and a pleasant experience to the diner. Whether it's an amazing dish, a beautiful presentation, a friendly waiter or a jovial ambiance, there are a number of ways you can deliver "the wow factor" to your patrons time and time again. Here are some suggestions: 1. Over-The-Top Service: More than anything in this industry, making a great impression starts with having kind, attentive, caring staff who put your satisfaction as a top priority. Having a wait staff that makes dining out a relaxing, pleasant experience for your patrons is paramount, and little touches like remembering a customer's name, or perhaps a regular diner's usual order, can go along way. Service is very much a part of the dining experience and having upbeat employees on staff will help positively orchestrate the mood of the evening. 2. Customer Relationship Management: Having a CRM program in place at your facility is another great way to "wow" your guests. In this digital day and age, getting friendly email reminders about specials, coupons, unique events and other happenings is a nice way to invite patrons back while actively keeping your business name in the mind of your customer. Many venues nowadays also have birthday incentives which invite guests to dine with them and enjoy a complimentary discount. All these things are not only a great branding tool for your business but they also have a positive impact on the feelings your customer base has towards your operation and the way you conduct business. 3. Cleanliness: No matter where you are dining out, from fine dining to fast casual or quick-service venues, having a clean dining room and washroom has a direct effect on the customer impression. No one wants to eat on a grimy table or smell off odors or go to a washroom that's not properly managed. The cleanliness of your restaurant, bar, or foodservice facility is without a doubt one of the first things your patrons will notice when visiting. It is also one of the first things that will turn a customer off, and quick. For all the open kitchens where patrons can see chefs at work, it is increasingly important to have the front of the house as well as the back of the house in tip-top shape so customers can rest assured that cleaning is adhered to and good management is a high priority. 4. Strong Menu: People have a choice every time they dine out and that choice is where they are going to eat followed by what they are going to order. Given the highly saturated restaurant scene in American cities today, it is important to craft your skill and feature a menu that is all your own. It's about finding a defining feature and showcasing that feature well. Chefs across the nation range in skill and expertise, but all successful chefs have honed their skills by mastering a handful of things that make their food memorable. Even your classic favorites (think: a hamburger, a green salad) can be made a popular favorite with the implementation of a defining sauce, dressing, or key feature. Find what it is that makes you stand out and prepare to "wow" your customers with it each and every time. 5. Ambiance The overall ambiance of your foodservice establishment plays an important role in "wowing" your guests. For many fine dining establishments, the importance of this feature is emphasized even more, as restaurant operators comb through nice furniture selections, art options, elegant light fixtures, high-end tabletop accessories and more to set the tone. After all, the first impression is often made at the beginning of your experience (i.e. when you walk in the room) so having pretty lighting, elegant furnishings and a stylish ambiance plays an important role in locking in good sentiments from the first look. Though very important in fine dining, ambiance generally plays a key role in designing a restaurant in general. Small "hole in the wall" venues with a mixture of different knick knacks can add to the warmth and character of a place and make it memorable to the diner. At the end of the day, it is about finding a mix of colors, styles, and objects that will work together to achieve the look you're after, and then share it happily with your guests.
Baking Pans are a staple in both commercial and residential kitchens, and like most anything, they will age more gracefully if they're properly cared for throughout their life. Here are a few key things you should keep in mind when caring for your baking pans:
1. Seasoning:To get the best performance and life from your new bake pan, be sure to season it before use, and as needed over time. Simply apply a spray or lubricant to the surface and stick it in the oven (without product in it) for 10 minutes at roughly 350°F.
2. Storage:Baking Pans should always be stored in warm, dry areas and away from places with high humidity, like the dishroom. Baking pans should never be stored in cool/cold places since condensation can form on the pan. They should be placed upside down in their designated storage place for the best airflow and we often recommend warming them in the oven just before storage to make sure they are completely dry and free of moisture.
3. De-panning:After baking, your finished product should be depanned as soon as possible. This is because steam given off from the pan during the cooling process can penetrate the glaze on the pan and cause "glaze lifting" or corrosion over time. Many people think to keep the baked product in the pan long enough to cool it is the correct thing to do, when in actuality it can damage the pan over time.
4. Cleaning:Baking Pans are relatively sensitive and should be cleaned with a soft cloth or a mild soap and water solution. Remember that pans shouldn't be exposed to water, humidity, condensation or cold temperatures if possible. Avoid soaking the pan in water, using any harsh chemical cleaners, in addition to rough scouring pads which can scratch the glaze on your pan. Should washing in water be necessary, re-season the pan with a lubricant afterwards and stick it in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes to ensure the seasoning has sealed.