Common questions before and after you purchase your restaurant equipment and supplies.
One of the easiest ways for pathogens/bacteria to be transmitted to food is through our hands. Considering all of the things that are touched throughout a given day it is no wonder that handwashing plays a crucial role in the foodservice industry, and more generally speaking, when handling food at all. This is why the installation of hand sinks is such an imperative part of the kitchen design process, not to mention a requirement by your health code. The National Restaurant Association shared this helpful Hand Washing Guide that emphasizes the exact steps and time neccessary to ensure germs are eliminated. This basic, everyday task is one that is incredibly important to the over-arching food safety goal along with the health of your patrons. Did You Know? As a general rule of thumb, a hand sink is required by your health code to be within 20' of every food handling point or food preparation area in your commercial kitchen. Doing this not only ensures there are enough wash stations for all your staff but it promotes better food safety as employees won't have to walk far to lather up. Hand washing demands a set-up explicitly for this task. No food can be washed or cleaned in the hand sink, just as you can't wash hands in the 3 compartment cleaning sink or the prep sink. The hand sinks at your establishment should be complete with both cold and hot water, soap, and paper towels. (This all-in-one soap and paper towel station is a great wall-mount unit to install by your hand sinks and is a popular favorite for our customers!) The hand sinks at Mission come in a number of sizes to cater to your specific needs and volume, with many tight, space-saving designs available. There are also a number of beneficial features for specific models including faucets and side splashes to prevent splatter and slippery floors: At Mission Restaurant Supply you will find a product offering featuring the most trusted foodservice manufacturers including Advance Tabco, Crown Verity and Lakeside, who offer mobile hand washing stations ideal for caterers and other on-the-go applications, in addition to Jaxpro, who hosts some of the lowest prices online! Integrating hand-washing signs by your washing stations in addition to the restrooms is another way to promote the importance of this task (not to mention health inspectors give it a big thumbs up). Stock up on hand sinks for your commercial kitchen and implement the best food safety practices and training at your facility. For questions regarding which unit is right for you, please feel free to give our sales team a call at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM (Central Standard Time).
Imagine a refrigeration system so high-tech it can switch from refrigerator to freezer with the push of a button... Lucky for you, the FX Refrigeration Series by Randell has turned this dream vision into a reality and one that can be implemented straight into your business. The FX is a patented, precision-based refrigeration model that is designed to cover all your needs, regardless of the foodservice application. With the push of a button, you can choose the desired temperature needed for your food (from -5°F to 40°F). The idea behind this FX technology is that cold air should stay sealed with the food, regardless of whether the door is opened, closed or shut during operation. By keeping cold air locked in, food is fresher for longer, equating to less food waste and enhanced food quality. The FX Series prides itself on being able to maintain temperatures +/- 2°F as opposed to traditional refrigeration which has a wider variance. This diagram below shows how the FX traps cold air in as opposed to traditional refrigeration drawers which experience the "Pour-Out Effect" when drawers are opened. How this cold air stays sealed in is discussed further down in this article. The FX Series will work with a wide array of foods, from delicate seafood to prime meats to frozen product and fresh vegetables, providing the best storage conditions and operator customization. For instance, you can set the FX to 26°F for optimal red meat storage, or 33°F which is the ideal holding temperature for chicken. Ultimately, this temperature precision and operator flexibility allows you to take charge of your various menu items and take control of food costs. The following chart showcases some of the optimal temperatures for storing a variety of food types. The two key elements of the FX series include the lid and the insulated insert. The FX Series is equipped with a removable insulated insert for easy cleaning. When the drawer is closed, there is a magnet to magnet seal between the lid and the insert to lock cold air in and keep it with the food. The diffuser circulates low velocity cold air to the whole surface of the insert without dehydrating the food product; cold air is able to seal in and blanket around food thanks to the individual diffuser slots that are carved into the insert. By keeping cold air locked in temperatures stay consistently cold which means less work for your compressor! When the drawer is opened, the evaporator coils and fan turn off to conserve energy. One of the great features of the FX Series refrigeration is the drawers. Every FX drawer provides 3 cubic feet of useable storage versus traditional units which hold virtually half as much! FX Series Refrigeration looks industrial and aesthetically pleasing in commercial foodservice venues of every type and they truly make working in a kitchen more efficient. Food product is easier to access, its shelf life and safety are improved, not to mention it looks and tastes better. One of the best-selling FX options available right now is the FX-1UC which is a 27'' undercounter unit. With a space-saving footprint and the functionality of having a freezer and a refrigerator that can be manipulated to work with various menu needs, these units are an obvious favorite and credible investment for business operators across the world. Please contact our sales team at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 am-7pm (CST) should you have any questions or if you would like to get information on larger FX models.
When it comes to bacteria growth and food, there are two factors that weigh heavily: Time and Temperature. This virtual "thermometer" shows exactly what the danger zone is: As you can see, the temperature danger zone is from 41°F to 135°F with optimal bacteria growth around the 100°F temperature. (Since the average room temperature is included in this "danger zone" bracket, operators should give serious consideration to food's time exposure to air when out.) As a rule of thumb, food should not be left out and exposed to oxygen for more than 3-4 hours maximum throughout the preparation and service time. For leftover foods that need to be chilled, the same rule of thumb applies and is known as a 2 stage cooling process. What's The 2 Stage Cooling Process? The first stage: Chill food from 135°F to 70°F within 2 hours The second stage: Chill food from 70°F down to 41°F in four hours or less For Food That's Ready To Be Served: Be sure to keep ready-to-serve foods hot (at or above 135°F) or cold (at or below 41°F) to avoid exposure to the temperature danger zone. For Food That Needs To Be Reheated: Make sure that when reheating, the temperature gets to at least 165°F to ensure that the most harmful bacteria is killed in the cooking process. Understanding what "The Danger Zone" is and remembering these few important temperatures will help you ensure the best food safety in your home or business!
In the day-to-day hectic lives that we lead, it is often easier to pick up a pre-prepared dinner from the deli or grocery store than to make something from home- are we right? However, with the help of food processing equipment, you can quickly cut out the tedious and time-consuming prep work associated with making some of your favorite dinners, and start saving money by cooking from home. This Food Processor by Waring is just the kind you'll need: We strongly suggest you reconsider the lightly-made food processors and invest in a sound unit that will perform beautifully over the years. Though they are less expensive, there is no doubt that the product life of these machines will be significantly shorter. With this showcased model, rest assured you will get years of absolute durability, performance, and quality for your home. Some of the features that make this food processor a household favorite include:
- Its Super Durable (and Dishwasher-Safe) Bowl Waring has created a 2.5 quart clear bowl made of the most durable polycarbonate material- it is virtually unbreakable! It is lighter than metal but built for tough, professional use, and it has a single handle for easy maneuverability and transport. Best yet, it is dishwasher safe so you can be done with cleaning after use.
- Its Extra-Large Feed Tube & Food Pusher Get more food processed in less time with the wide, large food chute which allows you to feed more food into the processor, all while saving time and making food prep easy for you.
- The Thermal Protection Shut Off/ Safety Feature Doing a lot of food prep? This unit is equipped with a powerful 3/4 HP motor and can handle a significant amount of use! However, with this unique safety feature, the unit will know to turn off when it's getting too hot and if it's in danger of overheating. By automatically powering off, you can rest assured that no permanent damage will be incurred to the motor.
- The Safe & Convenient Locked-in-Place S-Blade Waring is always thinking about your safety. Food Processors are huge time savers in the kitchen but they are very powerful and have extremely sharp blades to accomplish their work. That's why Waring integrated a sealed S-blade on this unit which locks in place while you're pouring contents from the food processor. This not only helps in eliminating messes but it will also keep you safe from accidental cuts or severe injuries.
- Its Trademarked LiquiLock Seal System = No Spills! Waring's trademarked LiquiLock Seal System keeps food from spilling over the container and making a mess in your kitchen. So whether it is soups or bisques, sauces, marinades, or perhaps just finely grated vegetables, the process will be a clean one.
- It's A Package Deal! When you purchase the WFP11S you are getting not just the traditional S-Blade but 3 additional blades that will allow you to do more with your purchase. Enjoy the added benefits of a slicing blade, a shredding blade and a grating blade, and work with confidence that you can handle more food prep tasks!
Chefs across the globe are inherently different in style, technique, and the way they demonstrate their skills, but one thing that is consistent among them is their search for equipment that will prove versatile for their needs. Combi ovens are a great example of this sought after versatility but one item that is often overlooked-though rapidly gaining popularity- is the Braising Pan. The beauty of a braising pan is that one device can cover such a wide range of products and production needs. At Mission Restaurant Supply, we understand that chefs need equipment that will meet their high standards and expectations day after day, night after night, which is why we are excited to share with you Groen's Eclipse Tilting Braising Pans. Why Choose A Groen Eclipse Braising Pan?
- For over 40 years, Groen's Eclipse Braising Pans have been leading the industry standard in both gas and electric models.
- By combining the functions of a skillet and a kettle, these braising pans will braise, boil, simmer, saute, steam, bain marie, thaw, warm, proof, hold, roast and serve with ease!
- Fast, high-capacity pan features a bi-metal cooking surface that heats evenly and quickly (350°F in 4 minutes!), eliminating hot spots and improving product quality.
- Rounded, seamless pan corners have a 3'' radius and keep food from building up, allowing your team to easily stir food while in use (and clean, after the fact)
- Central tilting feature and hinged pan allows you to pour the product from the pan directly into containers with little hassle! Groen's Eclipse line also has the shortest pour path in the industry making it even easier to pour while minimizing spills.
- One pan minimizes messes and clean up time; Open leg construction makes it easy to clean underneath and around the unit.
- Ideal for the foodservice establishment (i.e. schools, hotels, restaurants) preparing a wide variety of meats, soups, sauces and virtually anything in high volume! Need to make a few hundred pancakes for the morning shift? Steaks for lunch? Stews for dinner? No problem.
Some of the most frequently used tools in any kitchen large or small are pots and pans. Their various styles and array of applications make them an absolute staple in the world of cooking! Frying, boiling, blanching, poaching, steaming, cooking- you name it. Which is why at Mission Restaurant Supply, we believe you should invest in a cookware line that will last and hold up amidst the constant use in your home or professional kitchen. This is where Thermalloy Pots and Pans comes into play. The top-tier line by Browne-Halco, Thermalloy represents a premium cookware experience with quality stainless steel construction and optimum cooking performance. Thermalloy pots and pans are induction ready and can be used with all cooking heat sources, including on gas and electric ranges, ceramic countertops and with halogen making them some of the most versatile cooking tools on the market. Below are the top features and benefits of the stainless steel Thermalloy line: Invest in quality and experience a true difference in cooking performance, versatility, and durability over time. Spending a little bit more upfront on cookware that's designed to hold up is a better investment than having to replenish your stock every couple of months. Explore the variety of Thermalloy available to you at Mission Restaurant Supply, from braziers to double boilers, to saute pans and stock pots, and don't hesitate to call our team at 800-319-0690 from 7AM to 7PM (CST) Monday through Friday should you have any questions.
Water filtration is a small- yet highly important- investment that will add years to your ice machine while boosting your ROI. Not to mention it will keep your ice and water tasting (and looking) clean. Finding the right filtration system will differ depending on the kind of ice machine you have, how big it is, and what kind of water situation you have in your geographical area.
- Excess sediment and scale in water will clog up the interior of your machine, clinging to the evaporator plate, tubes, valves and other parts, reducing its efficiency and its ability to produce ice.
- Failure to inhibit bacteria and scale build-up will result in more service calls, shorter product life, and higher cost of ownership.
- Areas where water has a high chlorine content will cause ice and beverages to smell and taste bad
- The 10'' assembly, 202-DSP, is meant for ice machines capable of producing up to 900 pounds of ice per day.
- The 20'' assembly, the 20-202-DSP, is designed for ice machines producing anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- The 102-DSP 10'' assembly is meant for ice machines producing up to 900 pounds of ice per day.
- The 20-102-DSP 20'' assembly is for ice machines producing anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- The 10'' TRI-PLEX assembly is recommended for machines making up to 900 pounds of ice per day
- The 20'' 20-TRI-PLEX assembly is meant for machines making from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- IN1013: If space is an issue along with mineral rich water and bad taste, the IN1013 Inline Phosphate Carbon Water Filter is a great option. This compact filter measures 10'' long and controls sediment (to 5 microns), reduces lime scale and calcium, and improves the taste of water coming through it. These filters generally last 6-12 months before needing a replacement. Though not quite as heavy-duty as the 102-DSP, this inline filter will get the job done and work efficiently in a space crunch. Great for beverage machines.
- IN1017: Another great space-saving alternative, the 10'' IN1017 Inline Phosphate Water Filter is designed to tackle the lime scale and calcium in hard water applications while reducing sediment to 20 microns. These filters generally last 6-12 months before needing a replacement. Though not quite as heavy-duty as the 202-DSP, this inline filter will work efficiently to inhibit the build-up of scale in your ice machine.
Pre-Rinse Units are an integral component to the commercial dishwashing sector being found in nearly every restaurant kitchen. Their primary purpose, as you may know, is to spray off leftovers and soiled dishes before they enter the wash cycle, which increases the efficiency and ensures you're getting the best cleanliness with every wash cycle. If you are in the market for a new Pre-Rinse Unit, we recommend looking at the Easy Install Series by T&S Brass. These units are designed for you, the end user, with the following goals in mind:
- To get the longest life out of your investment
- To be quickly installed- under 10 minutes!
- To save you money thanks to low flow rates and less water usage
One of the most commonly asked questions we get here at Mission Restaurant Supply is why manufacturers of commercial ranges void their warranties for residential installations. There are a number of reasons for this which we will cover in this article.For serious cooking enthusiasts, having commercial-grade cooking equipment in your home is a luxury. Once you've experienced the durability and cooking capabilities of a commercial range, it's hard to downsize to a residential model. However, due to the nature of this powerful equipment, many commercial manufacturers have dissuaded residential end users from putting them in their homes, even going so far as to void the warranty entirely if they choose to purchase. Furthermore, it could also void your homeowner's insurance policy. Here are the Top 5 Reasons for keeping commercial ranges out of the residential sector: 1. HAZARDOUS HEAT Commercial ranges are equipped with burners that generate heat levels much stronger than a range intended for residential use (approximately 25,000 to 35,000 BTUs versus 12,000-15,000 BTUs). Because these ranges aren't equipped with much insulation, heat radiates out, all while heating up the temperature of the kitchen and exposing a dangerous, scalding surface that could cause severe burns on contact to kids, pets, or yourself. As a result, most commercial ranges require a significant amount of clearance near and around the unit plus the installation of a high-heat fire wall and a fire suppression system. 2. GAS RESTRICTIONS Heavy-duty commercial ranges require a lot of gas to perform the way they do. Constantly keeping all the pilot lights running and ensuring fast start up times essentially consumes a lot of fuel and produces a lot of extra ambient heat in the kitchen. To ensure this steady flow of gas, commercial ranges need to be hooked up to a natural gas or propane line that's sufficient in size. However, since the natural gas lines in most homes are generally smaller than what's required many manufacturers automatically void their warranty terms for such sales. 3. VENTILATION SAFETY Commercial ranges put off a lot of smoke from the high heat used to cook your food. To ensure that grease and smoke are removed safely, you'll need to invest in a heavy-duty ventilation hood to go over the range. However, because most commercial ranges are deeper than the average 24'' deep countertop, they will stick out and you will more than likely need a customized hood to safely remove all the combustion gas in the air. These heavy-duty hoods are also much noisier than their residential counterparts. 4. STRINGENT CODES Every state and locality has their own safety policy, and when it comes to installing commercial cooking equipment, there is a wide array of regulations. Check with local authorities to learn more about zoning and fire regulations along with the limitations of building codes in your area. 5. LOST INSURANCE COVERAGE Due to the fire and safety hazards associated with operating a commercial range at home many insurers will void their clients' home insurance policies if they choose to go through with the installation. Having a thorough understanding of fire and safety codes in your area is critical as is knowing the risks associated with ownership. We hope that this has helped answer your questions, and as you move forward, we encourage you to consult local authorities for more information. You may also find "professional-style" residential ranges at your local appliance dealer. The Team at Mission Restaurant Supply is here to help you and your business grow. For more information or if you'd like to speak to one of our educated sales executives, please give us a call at 800-319-0690, Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM CST.
Here at Mission Restaurant Supply, we get a lot of folks- caterers, restaurateurs, even home cooks- who come to us looking for equipment that will compliment and simplify the day-to-day cooking experience without sacrificing quality. Lucky for them (and you) we have equipment by manufacturers who tailor to these needs. One such manufacturer is Crown Verity whose corporate philosophy is to build equipment based on the wants and needs expressed by cooks across the nation. This ethos is executed across the board with a great case study being their line of Mobile Griddles. These mobile griddles are not your average make or model. Rather, they are designed to rectify common obstacles and challenges experienced by chefs while making the entire user experience a better one. By listening to their customer base, the brand was able to update their designs so that end users can get the best performance and return on their investment. All Crown Verity Mobile Griddles are equipped with a solid stainless steel grease tray which is removeable from either end, simply sliding in and out for easy cleaning and maintenance. This is a great convenience feature along with a great safety benefit to reduce the risk of fires. These griddles are also designed with other user safety benefits in mind, such as being easy to light, to clean, and to store away until you're ready to use it again. Did you Know? These mobile griddles have lockable casters that keep the unit stable and in place for safety, yet when the casters are unlocked, you can easily push the griddle with 2 fingers! Just watch the video below to check it out. One of the great things about all Crown Verity equipment is the versatility that they provide. They are available in Natural Gas and Propane depending on your needs and our customers have cooked everything from pancakes to hamburgers, philly cheese steaks and peppers on them. There are endless options! These Crown Verity mobile griddles also have many accessories available including grates which can be used when you remove the griddle plate. That's right! The griddle plate is fully removeable so you can use the griddle as a grill when you need to. Crown Verity was able to focus on usability, moveability and profitability by outfitting their outdoor griddles with large 14'' wheels on one side and lockable swivel casters on the other for easy transport from one location to the next. So what does that mean for you? "Going mobile" for you means making more money by being able to go where the crowds are and feeding them what they want. End of story. Ready to Shop? Check out all the Crown Verity at Mission Restaurant Supply & Save! Should you have any questions or simply need help making a product selection, don't hesitate to call our team at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7AM to 7PM Central Standard Time. We'd be happy to assist you.