One of the most commonly asked questions we get here at Mission Restaurant Supply is why manufacturers of commercial ranges void their warranties for residential installations. There are a number of reasons for this which we will cover in this article.For serious cooking enthusiasts, having commercial-grade cooking equipment in your home is a luxury. Once you've experienced the durability and cooking capabilities of a commercial range, it's hard to downsize to a residential model. However, due to the nature of this powerful equipment, many commercial manufacturers have dissuaded residential end users from putting them in their homes, even going so far as to void the warranty entirely if they choose to purchase. Furthermore, it could also void your homeowner's insurance policy. Here are the Top 5 Reasons for keeping commercial ranges out of the residential sector: 1. HAZARDOUS HEAT Commercial ranges are equipped with burners that generate heat levels much stronger than a range intended for residential use (approximately 25,000 to 35,000 BTUs versus 12,000-15,000 BTUs). Because these ranges aren't equipped with much insulation, heat radiates out, all while heating up the temperature of the kitchen and exposing a dangerous, scalding surface that could cause severe burns on contact to kids, pets, or yourself. As a result, most commercial ranges require a significant amount of clearance near and around the unit plus the installation of a high-heat fire wall and a fire suppression system. 2. GAS RESTRICTIONS Heavy-duty commercial ranges require a lot of gas to perform the way they do. Constantly keeping all the pilot lights running and ensuring fast start up times essentially consumes a lot of fuel and produces a lot of extra ambient heat in the kitchen. To ensure this steady flow of gas, commercial ranges need to be hooked up to a natural gas or propane line that's sufficient in size. However, since the natural gas lines in most homes are generally smaller than what's required many manufacturers automatically void their warranty terms for such sales. 3. VENTILATION SAFETY Commercial ranges put off a lot of smoke from the high heat used to cook your food. To ensure that grease and smoke are removed safely, you'll need to invest in a heavy-duty ventilation hood to go over the range. However, because most commercial ranges are deeper than the average 24'' deep countertop, they will stick out and you will more than likely need a customized hood to safely remove all the combustion gas in the air. These heavy-duty hoods are also much noisier than their residential counterparts. 4. STRINGENT CODES Every state and locality has their own safety policy, and when it comes to installing commercial cooking equipment, there is a wide array of regulations. Check with local authorities to learn more about zoning and fire regulations along with the limitations of building codes in your area. 5. LOST INSURANCE COVERAGE Due to the fire and safety hazards associated with operating a commercial range at home many insurers will void their clients' home insurance policies if they choose to go through with the installation. Having a thorough understanding of fire and safety codes in your area is critical as is knowing the risks associated with ownership. We hope that this has helped answer your questions, and as you move forward, we encourage you to consult local authorities for more information. You may also find "professional-style" residential ranges at your local appliance dealer. The Team at Mission Restaurant Supply is here to help you and your business grow. For more information or if you'd like to speak to one of our educated sales executives, please give us a call at 800-319-0690, Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM CST.
There is no denying that the cauldron of talent which makes up Austin's food and wine scene is bubbling wildly, growing hotter and hotter before our eyes. This past June- June 17, 2013- to be exact, our Austin Team sponsored Uchi's Citywide 86d Event at the At&T Executive Education and Conference Center. The event, which is reminiscent of Food Network's famed TV show Chopped, gave 4 Austin-area chefs (narrowed down from an initial 16) the challenge to present 3 courses of their cooking creativity to a panel of judges with a strict time clock and no prior knowledge of the given ingredients. The "Final Four" ended up being John Hajash of Congress, Brandon Martin from Foreign & Domestic along with Sway's Joaquin Cebollas and Chase Gintner. The panel of judges, which included many of the finest chefs in the state, were Mat Clouser from Swift's Attic, Jason Dady from Jason Dady Restaurants, Aaron Franklin from Franklin BBQ and Josh Watkins from The Carillon. After each of the 3 coarses, the panelists would eliminate (or 86'd, as the slang goes) 1 contestant until they were left with their winner. Attendees of the event were able to watch the chefs in action thanks to the glassed-in kitchen along with large, flat-screen TVs which were set up throughout the event. There were plenty of great gastronomic distractions as well, including delicious eats from Freedmen's, Cafe Jose, Kome, Uchi and more, along with sips from local sommeliers Scott Ota, Mark Sayre and Bill Elsey. With each of the three coarses, the panelists eliminated a contestant based on their ideas, the presentation, and of course, the overall taste. John Hajash from Bar Congress ended up with the title, being named the 1st Citywide 86'd Winner, taking home our "Stock Pot Trophy" along with anticipated opportunity to stage with chefs in NYC including David Chang! The other contestants received gifts, which included gift cards to Mission Restaurant Supply in Austin, and each will have the opportunity to work with reverred chefs and operations throughout the state, giving them a change to learn, grow, and further develop their techniques. All proceeds from ticket sales benefitted the Wine and Food Foundation of Texas. We had a wonderful time and look forward to being a part of the 2nd annual Citywide 86'd Event next year!
Here at Mission Restaurant Supply, we get a lot of folks- caterers, restaurateurs, even home cooks- who come to us looking for equipment that will compliment and simplify the day-to-day cooking experience without sacrificing quality. Lucky for them (and you) we have equipment by manufacturers who tailor to these needs. One such manufacturer is Crown Verity whose corporate philosophy is to build equipment based on the wants and needs expressed by cooks across the nation. This ethos is executed across the board with a great case study being their line of Mobile Griddles. These mobile griddles are not your average make or model. Rather, they are designed to rectify common obstacles and challenges experienced by chefs while making the entire user experience a better one. By listening to their customer base, the brand was able to update their designs so that end users can get the best performance and return on their investment. All Crown Verity Mobile Griddles are equipped with a solid stainless steel grease tray which is removeable from either end, simply sliding in and out for easy cleaning and maintenance. This is a great convenience feature along with a great safety benefit to reduce the risk of fires. These griddles are also designed with other user safety benefits in mind, such as being easy to light, to clean, and to store away until you're ready to use it again. Did you Know? These mobile griddles have lockable casters that keep the unit stable and in place for safety, yet when the casters are unlocked, you can easily push the griddle with 2 fingers! Just watch the video below to check it out. One of the great things about all Crown Verity equipment is the versatility that they provide. They are available in Natural Gas and Propane depending on your needs and our customers have cooked everything from pancakes to hamburgers, philly cheese steaks and peppers on them. There are endless options! These Crown Verity mobile griddles also have many accessories available including grates which can be used when you remove the griddle plate. That's right! The griddle plate is fully removeable so you can use the griddle as a grill when you need to. Crown Verity was able to focus on usability, moveability and profitability by outfitting their outdoor griddles with large 14'' wheels on one side and lockable swivel casters on the other for easy transport from one location to the next. So what does that mean for you? "Going mobile" for you means making more money by being able to go where the crowds are and feeding them what they want. End of story. Ready to Shop? Check out all the Crown Verity at Mission Restaurant Supply & Save! Should you have any questions or simply need help making a product selection, don't hesitate to call our team at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7AM to 7PM Central Standard Time. We'd be happy to assist you.
Commercial Refrigeration is a saturated marketplace filled with quality brands and products. For customers in the market to buy a new piece of refrigeration the choice can often be an overwhelming one. By now you've heard us confess our love for manufacturers like True, Hoshizaki and Turbo Air, but one line we encourage you to learn more about is Traulsen. Do you want the longest life out of your unit and the largest return on your investment? Traulsen may be the perfect fit for you. Manufactured in the heart of Ft Worth, Texas, this line has been creating refrigeration solutions since 1938, and their promise to bring quality to the industry has never wavered. One of the ways Traulsen has gained many loyal advocates is by explaining the difference between the price of purchase and the price of ownership with a Traulsen unit. The chart below details this difference: As you can see, although a Traulsen refrigerator or freezer will cost you more up front, it will actually save you money throughout the course of its lifespan. The reason for this harks back to the brand's commitment to quality. Quality Materials, Quality Design, Quality Operation, and Quality Control. Below are a few of the key design elements that make Traulsen one of the most respected refrigeration brands in the world.
- The Quality of Stainless: Stainless steel is the ideal and most widely used material for the foodservice industry, mainly for its durability, easy-to-clean nature, and its industrial aesthetic. By making an all stainless cabinet from the interior to the exterior along with every part in between, Traulsen units will last for longer without wavering in performance or reliability. Stainless steel also transfers temperature a lot faster than plastic or vinyl. Cutting out all the plastic pieces that are so often found in other refrigeration brands will ensure quality and easy upkeep year after year.
- The Traulsen Air Flow: Unlike other manuacturers who push cold air from the top down or from the back to the front, Traulsen has designed their cabinets with air ducts that help move cold air in a circular motion. This engineered air flow will blow across then down so cold air can fill from the bottom up, shelf by shelf by shelf. This air flow design will lengthen the life of your compressor and ensure the most thorough temperatures no matter where food is placed in the cabinet.
- Why Top Mount Refrigeration? The debate between whether top mount versus bottom mount refrigeration is better continues on with the ultimate consensus being that it is a subjective matter of opinion for the end user. Traulsen, however, continues to stand by their philosophy of having top mount refrigeration for multiple reasons. The first is that it is simply easier to access for preventative maintenance operations and service. Though bottom mount might seem easier, it is actually much harder to reach the interior of the refrigeration system when on your back amidst dirt, grime, and limited visibility. Second, because the evaporator, condenser and compressor are all located high up off the ground, you-the end user- won't have to worry as much about dirt and grime getting sucked into the system, which is often the case with bottom mount units whose fans and motors are located right above the floor. And third, because the refrigeration system is located up top, it is not eating up useable space in the interior of the cabinet, unlike the bottom mount conterparts on the market. (Traulsen claims you will have 15-20% more usable storage space in their boxes than bottom mount units by competitive brands.)
- The Best Insulation: Traulsen is the only brand of its kind that ensures a minimum thickness of 2 inches of insulation in their refrigeration. This insulation is 100% foamed in place for the best temperature maintenance and control.
- Free Freight On Everything! In addition to the brand's generous Free Freight offer, there is also a Free Liftgate service offered for any Traulsen unit you buy under 72''.
One of the best investments that your restaurant business can make is buying proper water filtration for your commercial ice machine. The importance of an adequate filtration system is one of the biggest understatements in the foodservice industry. Understanding how water filtration can help, by ensuring longer running times and a healthier, longer life for your machine, makes this purchase a no brainer. Water filters can be used with other pieces of equipment dealing with water, like steamers, but for the purpose of this post, we are focusing on its importance when used with commercial ice equipment. Perhaps the best way to begin is by reiterating the fact that ice is food and it should be treated as such, with proper food safety practices and precautions. At Mission Restaurant Supply we strongly believe in the importance of water filtration and below we will tell you why: As time wears on, so does the water within your ice machine that is frozen to make ice. Water, in its natural form, carries with it impurities and minerals that will build-up within your machine in the form of lime and scale. (Find out more about that here!) This build-up creates a blockage, much like cholesterol does within an artery, and it makes it harder for the water to pass through. This inherently makes the machine have to work harder and it raises the operating temperatures of the unit which can do irreversible damage to the machine. By investing in a water filtration system, the impurities within the incoming water can be captured and sifted out before the water runs through the interior of the machine. Thus, no lime, no scale, and better operation all around. Without this water filtration system, the ice formed with the unfiltered water will eventually have a a foul smell and a discolored appearance. Talk about leaving a bad taste in you customer's mouth! For your customer (and yourself) this is an undeniable turn off and an obvious indication that maintenance is not being adhered to. Investing in one of our Water Filters will do the following:
- Filter Dirt and Sediment from the incoming water
- Eliminate bad tastes and odors from the impure water
- Inhibit lime scale accumulation
- Prolong the life of your investment
What makes a dining experience memorable for you? The question is subjective to every diner- it could be a great waiter or waitress, attention to the minute details, a fantastic dish, delicious wine- but one thing that almost always is consistent is lighting. As a restaurateur, having a warm glow and soft light on your diners' tables is a great way to leave a lasting memory in the minds of your customers. It sets the tone, enhances the ambiance, and creates a relaxed, romantic mood that will better the dining experience. At Mission Restaurant Supply we have a huge selection of votives, tea lights and candle lights by Hollowick, a company that has been creating beautiful lighting for the foodservice industry since 1971! The product selection is reminiscent of a large treasure trove of jewel-colored votives and lamps that will bring your tables to life. There are a number of options and choosing can oftentimes be overwhelming, which is why we've broken down the different finishes along with some of the top-selling styles so that you will have a clear idea of the different designs available. Which will you choose? Shop through the extensive selection of Candles and Votives by Hollowick at Mission Restaurant Supply and achieve a warm, inviting ambiance at your dining establishment. Want to spruce up the dining room at home? These candles are also a best-seller for our fans outside of the foodservice industry!
One of our favorite meals to make at home during the warm spring and summer months is a homemade pizza. There's really nothing better for entertaining either than making fresh pizza dough and allowing your guests to "decorate" with their toppings of choice. Throwing this kind of party takes having a reliable pizza dough recipe you can count on, and after finding Patricia Wells's simple and delicious version, we are forever hooked. The best part about entertaining with fresh pizza is that the dough can be prepared ahead of time (using a good food processor like this one) making it a stress-free ordeal for the host. So all that's left to do is to set out a big smorgasbord of veggies, meats, cheeses, and whatever other toppings you enjoy, and have plenty of vino flowing! Our latest attempt at the homemade pizza was aimed at incorporating more veggies into the mix. So Pizza Primavera it was! Chopped up mushrooms, sliced bell peppers, zucchini shreds and loads of chevre goat cheese (of course) made the perfect Pizza Primavera. Top off with a light drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of coarse salt, and some red pepper flakes and you are all set! TIP: Lightly salt the veggies before you cook for the most delicious flavor. Mission has all the Pizza Supplies for your home or business- from Pizza Pans to Pizza Cutters & More!
In the foodservice industry the importance of safety when using gas-operated equipment is paramount. Having a heavy-duty gas connection hose that will not only meet code but withstand the rigors of commercial use is therefore an essential part of your kitchen safety and should be a conscious part of your design considerations. (Unfortunately, this small- yet very important detail- is a specification people often forget about until the site inspector comes to your facility.)
At Mission Restaurant Supply, we carry Dormont Gas Connection Hoses which comply with the latest standards in the industry. Recently, flexible commercial gas connection hoses have come to be "the norm" and regarded as the best option for your gas equipment, as opposed to the traditional hard, rigid connections of the past. There are a few key reasons for this:Why Use A Flexible Gas Connection Hose?
- The flexibility of the design makes hooking up your gas-operated appliances from the rear connection to the gas piping much easier, not to mention much closer to the wall. With a rigid hose, there is not as much maneuverability and equipment is restricted from getting close to the wall.
- Dormont's Flexible Gas Connection Hoses are certified by NSF International where as Rigid Hoses are not.
- Cleanability is essential throughout your foodservice facility and this couldn't be more true than in greasy, flammable areas (i.e. by your gas-operated cooking equipment.) With a flexible gas connection hose, a range or gas- powered unit on casters can be mobile for thorough cleaning and maintenance underneath and around the unit.
- Dormont's Flexible Gas Hoses meet updated codes, including ANSI Z21.69/CSA 6.16: Connectors for Moveable Gas Appliances and CAN/CSA B149.1: Natural Gas and Propane Installation
In the foodservice industry, product safety is a key component of day-to-day business. Ensuring that your restaurant or commercial kitchen is equipped with tools that will do their job safely and with maximum efficiency is an important consideration for anyone buying foodservice equipment. Fortunately, there are testing and certification agencies in place that identify the most safe and efficient options out there for you. These agencies test product after product, running them through their stringent testing procedures to uncover not only the best performers in operator safety but food safety, santitation and overall energy efficiency. Below are some of the largest foodservice agencies to know of with their corresponding product certification marks to look for when making your next investment. NSF International :: The Public Health and Safety Company,™
"NSF", which stands for National Sanitation Foundation, is an agency that is dedicated to protecting the environment and public health safety across a wide range of industries and products. In the foodservice industry specifically, the NSF approval means a few things in the mind of the customer. First, this listing reassures that equipment has met health standards and has undergone rigorous inspection testing which in turn instills confidence in the end user's purchasing decision. Second, having this stamp of safety on your equipment tells your health authorities that you have made a sound decision by investing in equipment that is constructed with proper sanitation principles in mind. Below are a few of the different NSF "Standards" that have been created to meet various equipment types:
- ANSI/NSF Standard 3: Commercial Spray-Type Dishmachines
- ANSI/NSF Standard 4: Commercial Cooking Equipment, Rethermailization & Hot Food Holding & Transportation Equipment
- ANSI/NSF Standard 7: Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers
- ANSI/NSF Standard 12: Automatic Ice Machine Equipment
- ANSI/NSF Standard 18: Food & Beverage Dispensing Equipment
Since 1894, UL has been one of the leading agencies in safety certification with 75 years of experience in the foodservice industry dealing with cooking equipment, refrigeration, food processing equipment and food preparation for manufacturers of gas and electric equipment. Equipment can be tested for a UL listing for Electrical Safety, Gas Safety and Sanitation. This non-profit, independent agency has nearly 20 different UL safety standards just for the commercial foodservice industry. Energy Star®:
When people see the blue Energy Star sticker on a piece of equipment, there is a level of confidence that is added to the user experience. Energy Star was introduced by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US Department of Energy as an initiative to help the end-user find products that not only saved energy (and energy costs) but also helped the environment. Originally, this program was solely dedicated to the residential sector, ranging from home heating to home appliances, but in 2001 that all changed. At this time the EPA expanded the Energy Star® effort to the commercial refrigeration equipment sector. Later they rolled out the program to steamers, fryers, holding cabinets and other cooking equipment, and they continue to add this seal of energy efficiency to other categories in foodservice.
If you or someone you know is a grilling enthusiast, chances are you've heard of Crown Verity and their commercial-grade outdoor grilling equipment. (If you haven't yet then you are in for a real treat.) Crown Verity is a brand that's made their name by manufacturing state-of-the-art Outdoor Grills and Charbroilers but they also have a number of other types of equipment, from steamers to fryers and patio heaters- Check out the whole product line here! Crown Verity's line of professional series portable BBQ grills is the focal point of this discussion and they are designed for the most discerning grill enthusiast. Convenience, durability, mobility and quick fire up times are just a few of the things that make them different from the competition, bringing a "stainless reputation" and a whole new level of performance to the user experience. Plus, by making commercial chefs a central piece of the puzzle throughout the design process, Crown Verity is able to deliver a product that not only solves day-to-day challenges but also conveniently creates opportunities that are unparalleled in the industry. Why Choose A Crown Verity Professional BBQ Grill?
- Crown Verity Gas Grills are constructed of high quality 300 series stainless steel throughout, from the legs to the water pans, the bolts and connector pins to the lighter tubes. Even the cooking grates are made of #304 stainless steel as opposed to competitors' grills which are made of 400 series stainless steel, cast iron, chrome/nickel plated or porcelain coated grates-all of which will rust over time. These fine materials will simply make your grill last the longest amount of time possible while making for easy cleaning.
- Crown Verity Grills are shipped on a wooden crate fully assembled and ready to go. That means no tools required- simply unpack, connect to gas and start grilling!
- Independent s/s burners, each at 15,000 btu take the grill to its fullest cooking potential in under six minutes!
- Want to customize your grill? Not a problem. Crown Verity has numerous accessory components , from the roll tops to vinyl covers and shelves, upgrading the experience and usability of the grill.
- Movability is a huge selling point with Crown Verity Grills thanks to the large, lockable casters for simple portability.
- All water pans are removable which makes for easy cleaning while eliminating flare ups caused by dripping grease and fat.
- Available to you in a number of sizes: 28'' wide, 34'' wide, 46'' wide, 58'' wide and 70'' wide in both natural and LP gas. That's a size everyone from serious home chefs to volume feeders like resorts and country clubs can take advantage of.