Baking Pans are a staple in both commercial and residential kitchens, and like most anything, they will age more gracefully if they're properly cared for throughout their life. Here are a few key things you should keep in mind when caring for your baking pans:
One of the easiest ways for pathogens/bacteria to be transmitted to food is through our hands. Considering all of the things that are touched throughout a given day it is no wonder that handwashing plays a crucial role in the foodservice industry, and more generally speaking, when handling food at all. This is why the installation of hand sinks is such an imperative part of the kitchen design process, not to mention a requirement by your health code. The National Restaurant Association shared this helpful Hand Washing Guide that emphasizes the exact steps and time neccessary to ensure germs are eliminated. This basic, everyday task is one that is incredibly important to the over-arching food safety goal along with the health of your patrons. Did You Know? As a general rule of thumb, a hand sink is required by your health code to be within 20' of every food handling point or food preparation area in your commercial kitchen. Doing this not only ensures there are enough wash stations for all your staff but it promotes better food safety as employees won't have to walk far to lather up. Hand washing demands a set-up explicitly for this task. No food can be washed or cleaned in the hand sink, just as you can't wash hands in the 3 compartment cleaning sink or the prep sink. The hand sinks at your establishment should be complete with both cold and hot water, soap, and paper towels. (This all-in-one soap and paper towel station is a great wall-mount unit to install by your hand sinks and is a popular favorite for our customers!) The hand sinks at Mission come in a number of sizes to cater to your specific needs and volume, with many tight, space-saving designs available. There are also a number of beneficial features for specific models including faucets and side splashes to prevent splatter and slippery floors: At Mission Restaurant Supply you will find a product offering featuring the most trusted foodservice manufacturers including Advance Tabco, Crown Verity and Lakeside, who offer mobile hand washing stations ideal for caterers and other on-the-go applications, in addition to Jaxpro, who hosts some of the lowest prices online! Integrating hand-washing signs by your washing stations in addition to the restrooms is another way to promote the importance of this task (not to mention health inspectors give it a big thumbs up). Stock up on hand sinks for your commercial kitchen and implement the best food safety practices and training at your facility. For questions regarding which unit is right for you, please feel free to give our sales team a call at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM (Central Standard Time).
Ingredient preparation is a crucial part of any foodservice operation and one that requires tremendous attention to food safety principles. Think about all the hands and processes that go into making a dish. Let's take a salad for instance. Washing the lettuce, cutting the vegetables, handling the ingredients- it takes a number of steps to get all the components from storage to preparation and into the salad bowl. By ensuring that produce is kept in a designated prep space, away from any raw food prep surface, the risk of cross contamination is reduced significantly. With San Jamar's best-selling Cut-N-Carry® Cutting Boards each color is designated for a different food group so you can literally monitor which foods are prepped on which surfaces, thus making food safety a top priority. Below are features and benefits to investing in San Jamar's Cut-N-Carry® Color-Coated Cutting Boards:
- The Patented hook design promotes sanitary transport of boards
- Simply hang to dry and store; avoid unsanitary stacking
- Unique co-polymer blend resists cut-grooving without dulling knives
- Withstands continual high-temperature commercial washing without warping
- NSF Certified
The PRS-2 Pre-Fabricated Series of Indoor and Outdoor Walk-In Coolers by Master-Bilt offers an unbeatable solution to your cooling and freezing demands, coupling the reliability of Master-Bilt's renowned panels with the convenience of an all-in-one refrigeration system. Investing in a walk-in cooler is a big deal which is why buying from a trustworthy, established brand like Master-Bilt is crucial. In this quick article we break down the key reasons to buy a PRS-2 along with how it will benefit your business: The Panels & Insulation Master-Bilt's walk-in panels are 4'' thick with a 26 gauge stucco galvalume finish and feature a tongue and groove construction that locks in place forming a solid seal. Add to this Master-Bilt's unique Cam-Lock system which creates a tight fit in between panels and enables you to easily take the panels apart if your walk-in needs relocation. (All you need is a factory-supplied 5/16'' allen wrench to engage the cam-lock.) As far as insulation, Master-Bilt uses a foamed-in-place polyurethane which is injected into the panel interior and "expansion-cured for consitent density and no uninsulated areas within the panel." Some key features of using this kind of insulation include but are not limited to its high resistance to heat flow, its 97% closed cell content which gives it superior moisture resistance, its zero ozone depletion potential thanks to the 245a blowing agent, its efficient energy retaining properties, and the added strength and reliability that it adds to the box. The Floors When it comes to flooring, the two things that are of top importance are its strength and overall durability. With the constant traffic going in and out along with the heavy loads of product brought in on material handling equipment, you will need a floor that can hold up and handle the stress. All Master-Bilt floors are built standard with a 0.080 textured aluminum surface with added traction to reduce the risk of slips and other accidents in moist conditions. Furthermore, the corners are coved and easy to clean earning them an NSF certification. Master-Bilt floors will support 600 pounds of load per square foot (stationary load). The Door Arguably the most important consideration of a walk-in cooler is the door; it is the barrier between your perishable goods and the warm temperatures outdoors that threaten them. Master-Bilt outfits their walk-in coolers with a V-Series door which is framed in a heavy-duty vinyl and a durable 10 gauge steel. One of the things that often happens with a heavy walk-in door over time is sagging. To prevent this from happening, Master-Bilt has attached a 1/4'' thick steel plate to the frame at each of the hinge locations, enhancing the strength and structural integrity of the door. These hinge backing plates (pictured above right) are adjustable allowing you to easily correct the door if it becomes unlevel over time. In addition, cam-locks are added to the frame sides to ensure the connection between the door and the surrounding panels is tight. Other beneficial features include the door's deadbolt locking handle, the hydraulic door closure and a safety release on the interior of the walk-in to prevent getting locked in. (Note that the doors on the walk-in freezers have heated openings to reduce the risk of door freeze-ups.) These doors will be 78'' high with the choice of a 26'', 30'' or 36'' width which should be specified when ordering in addition to specifiying a left or right hinged door. The Packaged Refrigeration Unit The PRS-2 Series comes equipped with a refrigeration system that is fully assembled, charged, run tested, and ready to be mounted on the top of your cooler or freezer. This convenient design is outfitted with the condensing unit and the evaporator coil all in one package. Indoor models come standard with a power cord and a condensate evaporator pan. For outdoor model, the refrigeration unit comes standard with a crankcase heater, a drainline heater, a head master and a weather hood. Easy Install The PRS-2 is extremely easy to install thanks to the aforementioned Cam-Lock panels which allow the end user an accurate, speedy assembly. Best yet, there is no piping involved so refrigeration labor costs are kept to a minimum. As was mentioned earlier, most indoor models have a simple power cord so installation is a breeze. Great Warranty Terms Master-Bilt's PRS-2 Series covers Parts for 1 year, Labor for 18 months, the Compressor for 5 years and the Panels for 10 years. Quick Ship Need a walk-in cooling system now? Or yesterday, rather? One of the big perks of Master-Bilt's PRS-2 walk-ins is its quick ship program. These indoor and outdoor models are ready for shipment in as little as five business days! We hope this guide has helped you better understand the features and benefits of the PRS-2 Walk-In Refrigeration by Master-Bilt and we invite you to call our staff with any and all questions about the units. Our team can be reached Monday through Friday 7 am to 7 pm (CST) at 800-319-0690.
Imagine a refrigeration system so high-tech it can switch from refrigerator to freezer with the push of a button... Lucky for you, the FX Refrigeration Series by Randell has turned this dream vision into a reality and one that can be implemented straight into your business. The FX is a patented, precision-based refrigeration model that is designed to cover all your needs, regardless of the foodservice application. With the push of a button, you can choose the desired temperature needed for your food (from -5°F to 40°F). The idea behind this FX technology is that cold air should stay sealed with the food, regardless of whether the door is opened, closed or shut during operation. By keeping cold air locked in, food is fresher for longer, equating to less food waste and enhanced food quality. The FX Series prides itself on being able to maintain temperatures +/- 2°F as opposed to traditional refrigeration which has a wider variance. This diagram below shows how the FX traps cold air in as opposed to traditional refrigeration drawers which experience the "Pour-Out Effect" when drawers are opened. How this cold air stays sealed in is discussed further down in this article. The FX Series will work with a wide array of foods, from delicate seafood to prime meats to frozen product and fresh vegetables, providing the best storage conditions and operator customization. For instance, you can set the FX to 26°F for optimal red meat storage, or 33°F which is the ideal holding temperature for chicken. Ultimately, this temperature precision and operator flexibility allows you to take charge of your various menu items and take control of food costs. The following chart showcases some of the optimal temperatures for storing a variety of food types. The two key elements of the FX series include the lid and the insulated insert. The FX Series is equipped with a removable insulated insert for easy cleaning. When the drawer is closed, there is a magnet to magnet seal between the lid and the insert to lock cold air in and keep it with the food. The diffuser circulates low velocity cold air to the whole surface of the insert without dehydrating the food product; cold air is able to seal in and blanket around food thanks to the individual diffuser slots that are carved into the insert. By keeping cold air locked in temperatures stay consistently cold which means less work for your compressor! When the drawer is opened, the evaporator coils and fan turn off to conserve energy. One of the great features of the FX Series refrigeration is the drawers. Every FX drawer provides 3 cubic feet of useable storage versus traditional units which hold virtually half as much! FX Series Refrigeration looks industrial and aesthetically pleasing in commercial foodservice venues of every type and they truly make working in a kitchen more efficient. Food product is easier to access, its shelf life and safety are improved, not to mention it looks and tastes better. One of the best-selling FX options available right now is the FX-1UC which is a 27'' undercounter unit. With a space-saving footprint and the functionality of having a freezer and a refrigerator that can be manipulated to work with various menu needs, these units are an obvious favorite and credible investment for business operators across the world. Please contact our sales team at 800-319-0690 Monday through Friday 7 am-7pm (CST) should you have any questions or if you would like to get information on larger FX models.
When it comes to bacteria growth and food, there are two factors that weigh heavily: Time and Temperature. This virtual "thermometer" shows exactly what the danger zone is: As you can see, the temperature danger zone is from 41°F to 135°F with optimal bacteria growth around the 100°F temperature. (Since the average room temperature is included in this "danger zone" bracket, operators should give serious consideration to food's time exposure to air when out.) As a rule of thumb, food should not be left out and exposed to oxygen for more than 3-4 hours maximum throughout the preparation and service time. For leftover foods that need to be chilled, the same rule of thumb applies and is known as a 2 stage cooling process. What's The 2 Stage Cooling Process? The first stage: Chill food from 135°F to 70°F within 2 hours The second stage: Chill food from 70°F down to 41°F in four hours or less For Food That's Ready To Be Served: Be sure to keep ready-to-serve foods hot (at or above 135°F) or cold (at or below 41°F) to avoid exposure to the temperature danger zone. For Food That Needs To Be Reheated: Make sure that when reheating, the temperature gets to at least 165°F to ensure that the most harmful bacteria is killed in the cooking process. Understanding what "The Danger Zone" is and remembering these few important temperatures will help you ensure the best food safety in your home or business!
In the day-to-day hectic lives that we lead, it is often easier to pick up a pre-prepared dinner from the deli or grocery store than to make something from home- are we right? However, with the help of food processing equipment, you can quickly cut out the tedious and time-consuming prep work associated with making some of your favorite dinners, and start saving money by cooking from home. This Food Processor by Waring is just the kind you'll need: We strongly suggest you reconsider the lightly-made food processors and invest in a sound unit that will perform beautifully over the years. Though they are less expensive, there is no doubt that the product life of these machines will be significantly shorter. With this showcased model, rest assured you will get years of absolute durability, performance, and quality for your home. Some of the features that make this food processor a household favorite include:
- Its Super Durable (and Dishwasher-Safe) Bowl Waring has created a 2.5 quart clear bowl made of the most durable polycarbonate material- it is virtually unbreakable! It is lighter than metal but built for tough, professional use, and it has a single handle for easy maneuverability and transport. Best yet, it is dishwasher safe so you can be done with cleaning after use.
- Its Extra-Large Feed Tube & Food Pusher Get more food processed in less time with the wide, large food chute which allows you to feed more food into the processor, all while saving time and making food prep easy for you.
- The Thermal Protection Shut Off/ Safety Feature Doing a lot of food prep? This unit is equipped with a powerful 3/4 HP motor and can handle a significant amount of use! However, with this unique safety feature, the unit will know to turn off when it's getting too hot and if it's in danger of overheating. By automatically powering off, you can rest assured that no permanent damage will be incurred to the motor.
- The Safe & Convenient Locked-in-Place S-Blade Waring is always thinking about your safety. Food Processors are huge time savers in the kitchen but they are very powerful and have extremely sharp blades to accomplish their work. That's why Waring integrated a sealed S-blade on this unit which locks in place while you're pouring contents from the food processor. This not only helps in eliminating messes but it will also keep you safe from accidental cuts or severe injuries.
- Its Trademarked LiquiLock Seal System = No Spills! Waring's trademarked LiquiLock Seal System keeps food from spilling over the container and making a mess in your kitchen. So whether it is soups or bisques, sauces, marinades, or perhaps just finely grated vegetables, the process will be a clean one.
- It's A Package Deal! When you purchase the WFP11S you are getting not just the traditional S-Blade but 3 additional blades that will allow you to do more with your purchase. Enjoy the added benefits of a slicing blade, a shredding blade and a grating blade, and work with confidence that you can handle more food prep tasks!
Chefs across the globe are inherently different in style, technique, and the way they demonstrate their skills, but one thing that is consistent among them is their search for equipment that will prove versatile for their needs. Combi ovens are a great example of this sought after versatility but one item that is often overlooked-though rapidly gaining popularity- is the Braising Pan. The beauty of a braising pan is that one device can cover such a wide range of products and production needs. At Mission Restaurant Supply, we understand that chefs need equipment that will meet their high standards and expectations day after day, night after night, which is why we are excited to share with you Groen's Eclipse Tilting Braising Pans. Why Choose A Groen Eclipse Braising Pan?
- For over 40 years, Groen's Eclipse Braising Pans have been leading the industry standard in both gas and electric models.
- By combining the functions of a skillet and a kettle, these braising pans will braise, boil, simmer, saute, steam, bain marie, thaw, warm, proof, hold, roast and serve with ease!
- Fast, high-capacity pan features a bi-metal cooking surface that heats evenly and quickly (350°F in 4 minutes!), eliminating hot spots and improving product quality.
- Rounded, seamless pan corners have a 3'' radius and keep food from building up, allowing your team to easily stir food while in use (and clean, after the fact)
- Central tilting feature and hinged pan allows you to pour the product from the pan directly into containers with little hassle! Groen's Eclipse line also has the shortest pour path in the industry making it even easier to pour while minimizing spills.
- One pan minimizes messes and clean up time; Open leg construction makes it easy to clean underneath and around the unit.
- Ideal for the foodservice establishment (i.e. schools, hotels, restaurants) preparing a wide variety of meats, soups, sauces and virtually anything in high volume! Need to make a few hundred pancakes for the morning shift? Steaks for lunch? Stews for dinner? No problem.
Some of the most frequently used tools in any kitchen large or small are pots and pans. Their various styles and array of applications make them an absolute staple in the world of cooking! Frying, boiling, blanching, poaching, steaming, cooking- you name it. Which is why at Mission Restaurant Supply, we believe you should invest in a cookware line that will last and hold up amidst the constant use in your home or professional kitchen. This is where Thermalloy Pots and Pans comes into play. The top-tier line by Browne-Halco, Thermalloy represents a premium cookware experience with quality stainless steel construction and optimum cooking performance. Thermalloy pots and pans are induction ready and can be used with all cooking heat sources, including on gas and electric ranges, ceramic countertops and with halogen making them some of the most versatile cooking tools on the market. Below are the top features and benefits of the stainless steel Thermalloy line: Invest in quality and experience a true difference in cooking performance, versatility, and durability over time. Spending a little bit more upfront on cookware that's designed to hold up is a better investment than having to replenish your stock every couple of months. Explore the variety of Thermalloy available to you at Mission Restaurant Supply, from braziers to double boilers, to saute pans and stock pots, and don't hesitate to call our team at 800-319-0690 from 7AM to 7PM (CST) Monday through Friday should you have any questions.
Water filtration is a small- yet highly important- investment that will add years to your ice machine while boosting your ROI. Not to mention it will keep your ice and water tasting (and looking) clean. Finding the right filtration system will differ depending on the kind of ice machine you have, how big it is, and what kind of water situation you have in your geographical area.
- Excess sediment and scale in water will clog up the interior of your machine, clinging to the evaporator plate, tubes, valves and other parts, reducing its efficiency and its ability to produce ice.
- Failure to inhibit bacteria and scale build-up will result in more service calls, shorter product life, and higher cost of ownership.
- Areas where water has a high chlorine content will cause ice and beverages to smell and taste bad
- The 10'' assembly, 202-DSP, is meant for ice machines capable of producing up to 900 pounds of ice per day.
- The 20'' assembly, the 20-202-DSP, is designed for ice machines producing anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- The 102-DSP 10'' assembly is meant for ice machines producing up to 900 pounds of ice per day.
- The 20-102-DSP 20'' assembly is for ice machines producing anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- The 10'' TRI-PLEX assembly is recommended for machines making up to 900 pounds of ice per day
- The 20'' 20-TRI-PLEX assembly is meant for machines making from 1,000 to 2,500 pounds of ice per day.
- IN1013: If space is an issue along with mineral rich water and bad taste, the IN1013 Inline Phosphate Carbon Water Filter is a great option. This compact filter measures 10'' long and controls sediment (to 5 microns), reduces lime scale and calcium, and improves the taste of water coming through it. These filters generally last 6-12 months before needing a replacement. Though not quite as heavy-duty as the 102-DSP, this inline filter will get the job done and work efficiently in a space crunch. Great for beverage machines.
- IN1017: Another great space-saving alternative, the 10'' IN1017 Inline Phosphate Water Filter is designed to tackle the lime scale and calcium in hard water applications while reducing sediment to 20 microns. These filters generally last 6-12 months before needing a replacement. Though not quite as heavy-duty as the 202-DSP, this inline filter will work efficiently to inhibit the build-up of scale in your ice machine.