This past weekend I made a big batch of Laura Bush’s famous Cowboy Cookies to help satisfy the “Holiday Sweets Syndrome”. This recipe takes your basic chocolate chip cookie and loads it up with rolled oats, sweetened coconut flakes, chopped pecans, and hints of cinnamon. It is dense, delicious and packed
with flavor fit for any cowboy.
- 3 c All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ c Butter
- 1 ½ c Granulated sugar
- 1 ½ c Packed brown sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3 c Semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 c Old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 c Sweetened flake coconut
- 2 c Chopped pecans
You’ll also need:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
- In an 8-quart bowl with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugars.
- Gradually beat in eggs, and then add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour mixture and then add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
- Using a disher, drop dough for each cookie onto an ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Rotate sheets halfway through.
- Remove cookies from rack to cool.
The recipe can be found here;
as seen on “Good Morning America.”