Your bakery might have a great staff, but without great equipment and supplies, it will be difficult to sustain as a viable business. There are certain baking supplies
that every good bakery needs, and they can be found online for an excellent price.
- One of the most essential baking supplies for any commercial operation is a floor mixer. Although there are many types of commercial mixers on the market in various sizes, a serious baking operation should invest in a floor model, as you’ll presumably be doing large batches of product eventually, even if your needs are being met by a smaller model now. An additional benefit to the size of a floor mixer is that they can accommodate 50 lb. bags of flour, cake mix, cookie mix or whatever ingredients you’ll need. Invest in a quality mixer as you’ll use it often and you need one that can last you for many years into the future! Shop Mixers!
- Another supply you’ll likely get a great deal of use from is a set of commercial baking pans. These also come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and it’s good to buy a large selection. There are certain specialty pans that you may never need, but be sure to stock up on the basics. The most essential pans for every baker are cake pans, muffin pans, pie pans and sheet pans. It’s important that you have a good stock of all of these. If you can build up a large supply of pans, you can use them in rotating shifts to improve productivity. For instance, if you’re preparing something that requires proofing, you can be proofing one batch of dough already laid out on pans while another batch is in the oven or cooling on your other set of pans. Or, you can set up multiple sets of pans before close one night to be baked in the morning, saving time. Shop Baking Pans!
- Of course, you’re going to need something to move all of these pans around on, which is why several bun pan racks need to be on your list of baking supplies to buy! These tall racks are extremely handy and just might see more use than any other piece of equipment in your kitchen. You will use them to transport your pans from place to place in the kitchen, and they’re great for proofing dough or storing baked goods as well. Make sure to buy covers for all of them too. This seems like a minor detail but they come in very handy for keeping your products free of debris while they’re on the rack. Often, bakers will just use large plastic bags as covers. While this is fine in a pinch, it’s a bad habit as it’s wasteful and expensive in the long run. The pan covers are quite affordable, and many of them are insulated, which comes in very handy for controlling the temperature of your baked goods. Shop Bun Pan Racks!
- While you’ll be able to proof some types of dough simply by putting them on a bun pan rack in a warm area, other types will require an actual heat source. For this, you should buy at least one heated cabinet. These can be bought with a solid or glass door, depending on your needs. They’re quite versatile though, and can be used for many kitchen tasks. Besides proofing, you can use your heated cabinet for keeping baked goods warm while transporting to a bakery case in the front of your house. Shop Holding/Proofing Cabinets!
- In addition to all of these supplies, there are a variety of other smaller items you’ll need. Many of these depend on your bakery in particular, but can include things like pastry cutters, pie markers, rolling pins, spatulas and sifters. If in doubt, buy as many of these types of common bakery items as you can. Some items you may not see a use for immediately, but you’ll need them at some point, and it’s better to have them on hand than to be rushing around at the last minute searching your local supermarket for an inferior residential version. Several good kitchen timers are also a great idea. Although some ovens have built-in timers, it’s better to set two just in case one of them fails. Or, you can set one a bit earlier to remind yourself to check it. This is especially important when familiarizing yourself with new equipment, or attempting a new recipe where you may be unsure of the exact baking time necessary. Shop all other Baking Supplies!