Cinco de Mayo, (not to be confused with Mexican Independence Day on September 16th), is a fun, widely celebrated occasion in the United States. The origins of Cinco de Mayo hark back to May 5, 1862 when the Mexican army was victorious against the French at the Battle of Puebla. Today, Cinco de Mayo is still a much-loved day to celebrate Mexican culture, and restaurants and bars around the United States act accordingly, making margaritas and celebrating the country’s delicious cuisine. In case you’re looking to throw a Cinco de Mayo party from home, these few items will help you get organized, not to mention they are a great investment for anyone who appreciates a good Mexican drink or meal year round!
1. Tabletop Servers like molcajetes, cast iron skillets, tortilla servers and more are great to have on hand for serving up your favorite Mexican dishes while adding authenticity to your presentation. Make some fresh guacamole and serve it in one of our light-weight molcajetes, or whip up some fresh salsa in seconds with a Vitamix or Blendtec blender. If you’re making fajitas on the grill, boost the presentation by serving them up on sizzling cast iron skillets with wood liners, and keep your tortillas nice and hot in one of our colorful servers.
2. Whether you’re making virgin or alcoholic margaritas, having a good Bar Blender will make it quick, simple and mess-free. We have a large diversity of blender models and price points with many under $100!
3. Margarita Glasses are a necessity for not only a Cinco de Mayo party but for anyone who appreciates the celebrated drink year round (that would be us!). We have some great margarita glasses, including festive cactus styles, in sizes from twelve to sixteen ounces. Be sure to also check out our Plastic Drinkware!
Looking for a little inspiration to get you started? Check out our favorite guacamole recipe and our go-to margarita recipe.
- Super Deluxe Solid and Glass Door Products: 3 year parts and labor warranty instead of 2 as of December 1, 2012
- M3 Products: 2 year parts and labor warranty instead of 1 as of December 1, 2013
- Glass Door Products: 2 year parts and labor warranty instead of 1 as of December 1, 2012
- Open Display, Bakery and Deli Cases, Ice Cream Dipping Cabinets: 2 year parts and labor warranty instead of 1 as of December 1, 2012
Want to try a great, traditional Beef Tamal recipe? This one looks pretty good!
In Central American countries like Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and Honduras, tamales normally don’t have a stuffing of any kind (no meat, cheese, peppers, etc.) and they are served more as the bread/starch portion of a meal. In more tropical parts of the world like Oaxaca or Veracruz, and even in Peru and Bolivia, the leaves from banana trees or plantains are used to wrap the tamales, and the tamales themselves are generally much bigger, thicker, and more square in shape.The interesting thing is that tamales have a worldly presence. The tamal is a global concept that different cultures take and recreate in their own ways. In the Far East and in India, the people have embraced their own tamals, replacing some of the key ingredients with rice dough, fish paste, and spices to name a few. Tamales can be found on most Mexican restaurant menus year-round, but they are traditionally most popular during special Holidays and celebrations, mainly because they are an all-day affair to make! The process isn’t a quick one, but once you try it, you will be convinced that it was worth the time, effort, and the sweat! You can read some great tips on AllRecipes.com about How to Make Tamales- view here!
This Holiday Season keep your eyes peeled for Tamales on restaurant menus and at other Holiday events, fundraisers, and more! Come see us at the Pearl if you get a chance! This is the perfect opportunity to sample tamales from some of the city’s experts!
- Share with us a favorite patriotic recipe- food or drink- that you’ve enjoyed during this year’s Olympic Games. A great cocktail, a festive dessert, anything red, white and blue, or something you’ve found delicious. Leave your entry in the comments section of this post or on our Facebook Wall.
Our latest sweepstakes comes just in time for Memorial Day and Summertime Soirees. We are giving away 3 awesome Fire Wires® – the flexible, innovative BBQ-grilling skewer that is winning the South over.Official Sweepstakes Rules Page. 2. Entries will be accepted from now until 12:00 noon (Central Time) on Friday, May 25th. 3. THREE winners will be selected at random from all entries on this post and announced on the blog at 12:30 p.m. (Central Time) on Friday, May 25th! How To Enter:
- Leave a comment on this post telling us what kitchen equipment and/or supplies you’d love to see on MissionRS.com.
- OR, share with us any tips you may have on how to create the perfect BBQ or Grill Out! (Secrets to perfect grilled product? Great Marinades? Party tips? Recipes? You name it!)
- We have a large assortment, from Rocks Tumblers, Margarita Glasses, Beer Mugs and Pilsner Glasses, Wine Glasses, Martini Glasses, Goblets, and more
- Skip the high cost of replacing glassware by washing and reusing these durable polycarbonate alternatives
- Dishwasher Safe- just pop it in the dishware!
- Sold by the case (usually 1 dozen per case) so you can buy enough for a party environment
- Great prices!