Causa Rellena: Discovering The Peruvian Palate
A colleague of ours is passionate about Peruvian food, and after seeing this recipe, we can understand why! The mixture of flavors and spices in this traditional Peruvian dish called Causa Rellena, will both satisfy and awaken your senses in a fresh, positive way. Causa Rellena is essentially a layered potato cake dish that allows your personal culinary creativity to reign free! We hope you enjoy!
1. Potatoes (Yukon Gold)-----2 pounds
2. Lemon or Lime Juice---1/4 cup
3. Aji Amarillo Chile Paste
4. Vegetable Oil---1/4 to 1/2 cup
5. Salt & Pepper--to taste
There are a number of variations to the Causa filling. They can be chicken, seafood salads, or vegetables. The two most popular fillings are the tuna filling ( water based tuna, chopped onion and mayonnaise), and the vegetable filling ( cooked and chopped carrots, red beets, and potatoes mix with mayonnaise). Remember that you can create your own filling.
There are a number of variations to the Causa garnish. Some of the more common ingredients used in Peru are: black olives, sliced boiled eggs and chopped parsley. You can also use shredded or whole lettuce leaves.
1. Boil the potatoes, peel and mash once they are cooked. Let it cool down.
2. Once potatoes are at room temperature, add lemon juice, chile paste, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Remember that you need to constantly taste the Causa in order to acquire your personal taste.
3. Divide the Causa into two parts. Place the first half at the bottom of a mold creating a bed of Causa (about 1/2" thick).
4. Add the filling of your preference on top of the bed of Causa (about 1/2" thick).
5. Cover the filling with the remaining Causa and chill for about 1/2 hour.
6. Decorate with your favorites garnish, serve, and enjoy it.
Thank you to Alex Hilario and Luis Garcia for the contribution!