Recipe for Oyster Chowder for National Soup Month
January is National Soup Month! At Mission Restaurant Supply, we are celebrating by bringing you a delicious Oyster Chowder with Bacon and Spinach recipe and a fantastic deal!
Get your soup on with a new kettle!
On sale for $50 during National Soup Month is the Jaxpro 10.5 quart soup kettle! A savings of $39.95! (Sale price valid until January 31, 2021.)
Consider adding a signature soup to your menu, like an Oyster Chowder with Bacon and Spinach. In Technomic's Soup & Salad Report, 39% of consumers say they visit certain restaurants specifically because they enjoy the soup the restaurants offer.
Looking for a premium soup warmer? Check out Vollrath's Mirage® Induction Rethermalizers.
- Mirage® Induction Warmers and Rethermalizers use innovative 3D induction coil technology to run dry (without a water bath).
- They drastically improve food quality and minimize food waste by holding food to within 3 to 5 degrees of accuracy from 140 to 190 degrees.
- They use a fraction of the energy of any standard warmer on the market by using less than 100 watts of power.
- Three temperature sensors have direct contact with the inset to provide very accurate temperature control.
- Sensors help prevent food in near-empty insets from burning, which maintains food quality and reduces food waste.
- Available in 7 or 11 quarts in both countertop and drop-in units.
Oyster Chowder with Bacon and Spinach Recipe
The recipe was developed by Mission's Chef Thurman Love. He served the chowder at one of his restaurants. Customers loved it and repeatedly asked for the recipe. We hope you enjoy the recipe as much as his customers!
Did you know? Chowder is the most popular soup type overall, appearing on 15% of menus among restaurants serving soup!
Oyster Chowder with Bacon and Spinach
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 20-24 ounces oysters with the liquid
- 1 cup tightly packed chopped spinach leaves, about 3-4 ounces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until the fat is rendered.
- Add the butter, celery, and onion. Continue cooking and stirring until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Add chicken broth, oysters with liquid, and spinach. Continue cooking until spinach is wilted.
- Add cream and seasonings. Heat through.
- Stir in sherry, optional.
Check out the video on how to make chowder featuring Chef Thurman Love.
Chef Thurman Love used a variety of products from Mission to make the chowder. Here are the products that are featured:
- Jaxpro Soup Kettle
- Mercer Oyster Shucker
- Mercer Genesis 8" Knife
- John Boos Cutting Board
- Update International Cheese Grater
- Browne Stainless Steel 4 ½ and 6 Quart Pots
- Browne Slotted Spoon
- Tablecraft Stainless Steel Spoon Rest
- Winco Wire Whisk
- Browne Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- American Metalcraft Square Cups
- Vollrath Soup Ladle
- Thunder Group Soup Bowls
You can find all these products and more in any of our stores and online.