Recipe for Pizza Sauce
March is National Sauce Month! A sauce is so diverse! It can be sweet or savory, creamy or liquid, and is featured in cuisines all over the world.
In honor of National Sauce Month, we are featuring a pizza sauce recipe. This recipe was provided by Mission's Chef Thurman Love. Chef Thurman notes that San Marzano tomatoes are the best. In Italy they are graded like grapes for wine and olives for olive oil. Chef Thurman learned the skill of making pizza from his friend, Michael Gambino. They even built a brick pizza oven from scratch together! They would make a homemade hand tossed pizza dough and use this sauce as the base. Chef Thurman suggests that this sauce will also be beautiful in lasagna or penne with Italian sausage.
Pizza Sauce Recipe
Serves: About six 12" pizzas
- 4 cans (28 oz.) San Marzano (D and P) tomatoes
- 1 oz. garlic, minced
- 1 ¾ oz. fresh basil, minced
- 1 oz. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 ¾ Tbsp. sea salt
- Open and pour tomatoes into a mixing bowl. Put on gloves. Hand smash tomatoes in the juice.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano.
- Put tomato mixture in a blender.
- Pulse blend to a consistent sauce. Do not over blend.
- Add salt to taste. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes. Preferable refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the sauce through a China cap strainer before using.
Ready to make this recipe? Shop for the supplies you need to make the recipe in any of our stores or online.