Perfect for the Holidays
There are literally hundreds of different recipes online for pumpkin bread. We found ones that were made with raisins and nuts, some that were made for vegans, others that used Splenda instead of sugar, and the list goes on. This recipe below was submitted by two of our very own Mission employees. After tasting the final product, I have to say that it comes out perfect! The lovely ladies put about a ½ cup less sugar than the recipe calls for, but it was still delicious! Try it out for the upcoming holidays.
- 2 c fresh cooked pumpkin (or 16 oz can of pumpkin)
- 3 ½ c all purpose flour (not self-rising flour)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 c sugar
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ c water (if using fresh pumpkin) or 2/3 c water (if using canned pumpkin)
You’ll need a few kitchen items before getting started:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and sugar).
- Add the eggs, water, oil and pumpkin.
- Stir until blended.
- Pour into two lightly greased and floured 9×5 loaf pans.
- Bake approximately 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Then take the bread out of the pans to let cool some more.
*Note: To preserve the taste of the pumpkin bread, wrap it in saran wrap to store it.